cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to Normalize/Globaliz Called Number to E164

j.a.m.e.s
Level 3
Level 3

Could someone tell me where is the best place to globalise the called party from the perspective of a phone please?

I am migrating to E164 and would like to know if this could be done at the device pool level using transformation patterns.

e.g. If a user dials 5000, I would like this converted to +41123455000 so that it can match another directory number or other upstream route-patterns which are all in E164 format.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There are multiple ways to do this. My personal preference is to do all transformation as close to the PSTN source as possible. With this I would do it on ingress on the voice gateway with voice translation rules and profiles and also transforming called and calling numbers on egress with the same type of configuration elements to fit the requirements of the service provider. With this all your call routing information used internally is then in +E.164 format.

For your part of the question on how to translate a short dialed number from a phone point of view I would do it with translation pattern(s) to transform the called number from the short form into +E.164. Reason being is that translation patterns are globally available to any type of configuration element in CM, where as transformations have limitations with this.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

There are multiple ways to do this. My personal preference is to do all transformation as close to the PSTN source as possible. With this I would do it on ingress on the voice gateway with voice translation rules and profiles and also transforming called and calling numbers on egress with the same type of configuration elements to fit the requirements of the service provider. With this all your call routing information used internally is then in +E.164 format.

For your part of the question on how to translate a short dialed number from a phone point of view I would do it with translation pattern(s) to transform the called number from the short form into +E.164. Reason being is that translation patterns are globally available to any type of configuration element in CM, where as transformations have limitations with this.

Response Signature

@Roger Kallberg Thank you Roger, this seems like the correct answer, translation patterns are the only way.

I was hoping that the Devices (e.g. 8865) would support a transformation pattern to modify the called-number, rather like the application dial-rules for Jabber or the SIP Dial-Rules for the old 79XX series phones. Unfortunately, in my testing (CM v14SU3) it is only possible to transform the calling party for outbound calls at the device/device pool level.

This limitation is causing me some extra complexity because we apply two CLIs on the DNs - one for users who wish to reveal their ANI on PSTN calls and one for users who wish to conceal their CLI.

You can accomplish that in two ways. First, in my environment Line 1 is the user's personal line with their personal CLID. Then, Line 2 is a 'dummy number' in the 202100XXXX range (with a Line Text Label of "Outgoing") where the External Phone Number Mask is the published main line for the company.

The second way to do that would be to have a Translation Pattern that was *XXXXXXXXXX which sets the EPNM to a generic CLID, strips off the *, and then processes the call normally. Since the Translation Pattern permanently changes the CLID even if a later call routing steps has "Use Calling Party's External Phone Number Mask" set it would still get the generic number.

Both require end-user training to know what to do when they want to hide their CLID, but neither is hard.

Maren

Thank you Maren, I'm going to try your second suggestion.

Using a translation pattern would be the optimal solution for your situation where a user dials a 4-digit number that you wish to convert into an E.164 number.

Response Signature