Helpful
Replies

Can anyone explain “last active” and “last registered”

chuck47172
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Unified CM Administration

System version: 12.5.1.13900-152

Can anyone explain “last active” and “last registered” on call manager, Find and List Phones page?

It’s my understanding that “last active” displays the timestamp when a device was last actively involved in a call.

However, I never see that timestamp update when I make test calls to or from the device.

Last registered always says “NOW”. Never changes.

7 Replies 7

This is quoted directly from CUCM

• Status—Displays the status of the phones. It can be: Registered, Unregistered, or None. A phone will be unregistered if the device was configured once but never seen on the network. If the phone is unregistered and then the Unified Communications cluster is rebooted, the phone moves to the None or Unknown state if the record status has timed out or the phone was reset (it can be from Cisco Unified CM Administration interface or BAT).

Non-Jabber devices or phones do not display the registered status immediately after registration. The registration status is updated and displayed only after a scheduled DB Maintenance window if the device is registered at that time.

For Cisco Jabber devices, the Device Registration Status, LastActive, LastRegistered details are updated when Jabber is registered with Unified Communications Manager, and after exchanging 3 KeepAlive messages. If Jabber devices are not registered during DB Maintenance window time, the registration status is updated only when it is registered with Unified Communications Manager and exchanged at least 3 or more times KeepAlive messages.

• Last Registered—The status is Now if the phone has registered within the last 10 days. Else, the status displays Never if the phone has never registered to the database until time.

• Last Active—This field updates the last time as to when the phone was active (onhook/offhook activity) and not the last registered time.

chuck47172 --  My cluster acts the same way yours does as it does not update the "Last Active" field after a call is made.  Maybe someone can explain why.  Just know yours is doing the same thing my cluster is doing in regards to "Last Active".

Thanks for the info. Any idea why the “last active” never updates when I make test calls to or from the device?

SteveK066
Level 1
Level 1

Same with mine. Not a big deal, it would be good to know. I no longer reference the 'Last Active' date/time as a true indicator when the phone was last in use.

Andy K MTL
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, for the Last Active, I guess to save on server ressources it doesnt update RIGHT away,  on phones we have at work, it seems to update every 10 to 12 hours,  but after a day you see the real timestamp it was used.

It helps us to cleanup unused phones, if it has very old timestamps we know the phone isnt used much and could be removed!

My version is 12.5.1

So noted, I will look later or the next day after noting the last time I used the phone. It could be useful as stated to find phones that are seldomly used, or not used for quite some time. Departments with budget cuts may want to remove such phones!

@Andy K MTL - as you mentioned, the information will updated 10+ hours later. I noted the date/time my phone was 'Last Active' - and it was in fact at the last time I used it yesterday afternoon.