Views
Helpful
Replies

Choosing Version of CUCM - 11.5.1SU3 vs 11.5.1SU4

mzsaad123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Folks,

We are planning to go from CUCM 11.5.1SU2 to either SU3 or SU4.

Now, we need to decide on the version. We try to stay away from the latest and greatest. SU4 is still quite new. However, based on the Read Me, doesn't look like a lot of enhancements were added on SU4. So that is a plus for SU4.

Also, SU4 has a lot of Resolved Caveats but that doesn't mean all of those bugs existed on SU3 - so I don't think looking at the bug list is a way to go. Atleast I didn't find a way just to look at the open bugs for SU3 or SU4. Not sure if there is a way? I can see open bugs for 11.5 version (not a specific SU). Wondering what you guys do in similar situation. Thanks in advance.

9 Replies 9

Jinto Alakkal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, It really depends you can continue on the existing version or do an upgrade if you think that there is a bug affected your operation in current version or if you are trying to add a new feature with a new service release. If you open the CUCM read me file you can see the list of fixed bugs  for example this document https://www.cisco.com/web/software/282074295/141143/cucm-readme-1151su4-Rev2.pdf this will have all the fixed bugs information

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

Thanks for your response. I went through the read me. but again, the fixed bugs on SU4 doesn't mean all those bugs existed on SU3 - at least that is my understanding.

yes that is correct so every version software will have a readme with the fixed bugs, every new version will have all the previous version bugs fixed on it, you can compare the CUCM readme documents to understand this.

Hi,

If you compare Release notes of both 11.5(1)SU3 and SU4 , you can find that:

- all opened bugs on SU3 have been resolved on SU4

CSCvf57440
CSCvf42769
CSCvf50629
CSCvf41297
CSCvf29569
CSCvf45528

- The following features have been introduced on SU4:

HTTPS Proxy for Push Notifications
Centralized Deployment for IM and Presence

And..
- on SU4 these three new caveats have been discovered:
CSCvg50439
CSCvh48379
CSCvf10487

IMHO you can go with the new SU4.

HTH

Regards

Carlo
Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Hi Carlo, Thanks for your response.

Where are you seeing that all these caveats are fixed in SU4. Here are the caveats which I see open on both SU3 and SU4.

CSCvf42769 : Cisco Support Token "null" after Cloud Onboarding
CSCvf50629 : Error occurred during find. A syntax error has occurred
CSCvf41297 : SIP Profile Settings page does not display the field description help
CSCvf29569 : Alerts not sent from Cisco Management Agent Service to the Cisco Cloud
CSCvf45528 : vendorConfigHelp getting displayed for VPN feature configuration in Unrestricted

I'm debating on going back to SU3.  I've had problems with SU4 since the upgrade.  First, the partitions went out of alignment on my sub immediately after the upgrade, so I figured, "easy fix, just blow it away and reinstall subscriber".  Wrong!.  I've had an open ticket for 3 weeks trying to get this subscriber to install.  It fails at the same point every time no matter what is done differently.  The bad part is that the install should only take about 3 hours.  It fails right at about 2:50.  I've attempted the reinstall 15 times now only to fail in the same spot.   I just thought I'd share my nightmare with anyone considering this upgrade.

sorry to hear about your pains. i was going to go with SU4. what version did you upgrade from? i am going from SU2. seems like your issue has to do something with your hardware. NO?

Avoid SU3. crappiest update ever. They have changed database for APN features and we have suffered for several months before SU4 was published. If there is no urge or need, stay at SU2. If there are service impacting defects you are hitting, upgrade to SU4. 

KR

Vladimir