Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8861 Standalone VOIP Issue

sebtrellis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've recently bought a 8861 for my home office. I currently have a VOIP connection with Gradwell which provides me with a SIP login and address for my extension. However my new phone requires an activation code or server name. I've tried inputting my VOIP user name and password but it doesn't work. I've tried accessing the phone via IP but no options to edit settings. I'm a bit stuck to get past this stage, I don't have call manager I'm just a one off small business trying to make this phone work! Any tips to get past this code?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7

Unless you have the ability to make full VPN connection to your office from your home, you won't be able to register this phone without having Expressway with MRA setup.

The activation code that you're seeing is because when you connect your phone, it doesn't recognize from DHCP any OPTIONS 150 that should give him the IP address of your CUCM, therefore it goes to Un-provisioned mode and then straight to this window. 

So there are two options in this window:

1. Register your phone to Spark Cloud via this Activation Code.
  2. Register your phone to your CUCM over MRA with Expressway servers setup, with entering credentials.

Can you elaborate more about this Gradwell VoIP connection?

Hi Slavik,

My office doesn't have CUCM or any large network solutions. We use Gradwell, they are a VOIP service for small businesses. I have a server address of sip.gradwell.net and a user name and password for my extension number. I can't get activation codes from a CUCM as I don't have access. Is there a way around this so I can login to my small business VOIP provider?

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Problem here, is that you bought the wrong phone, you bought an enterprise phone for Cisco call control, and you needed to buy a 3PCC (3rd party call control) model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO8q4XFmEoI

You can go from 3PCC to enterprise, but not the other way around.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime, so if it's not 3PCC there's no way at all to register it to a 3rd party PBX by deploying the XML configuration of the phone on some TFTP server, so the phone will be able to reach and download it?
Good to know anyway.

Haven't tried it since the 3PCC models were released, it *should* still be possible to try to get them registered to 3rd party if you can get a hold of all the files you need and adjust as necessary, but I'm not completely sure.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I have a 3pcc phone, but I'm getting the same screen where it is asking for an access code? I have att VOIP. Thank you in advance