Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade from 11.5 to 15.X

waqas sardar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

Please advise on how to upgrade CUCM from version 11.5 (11.5.1.13900-52) to version 15.X.

Is there a direct upgrade path available? If not, what are the steps for the upgrade?

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

You can find the needed information for this if you read the recommended list of documents for any upgrade. That would be these.

I recommend following the CSR compatibility guide and checking for the recommended versions. Additionally, make sure to read the following resources.

1. Installation and upgrade guides
  2. Release notes
  3. Read-me guides
  4. Compatibility matrix
  5. Compatibility matrix for VMware
  6. Compatibility matrix for CIMC (applicable for UCS, if using other HW this is N/A)

These resources will provide comprehensive information to answer your question.

Response Signature

The documents that @Roger Kallberg mentioned are crucial to read before the upgrade. Relying solely on someone else’s advice for an upgrade isn’t enough. In your case, you’re planning a Refresh Upgrade. However, please note that Refresh Upgrades from Pre-12.5.x sources to Release 15 are not supported.

In your situation, I recommend migrating from version 11.5 to 15. You have two options:

1. Prime Collaboration Deployment (PCD): Use this tool for a seamless migration.
  2. Fresh Install with Data Export: Export data from your existing system and perform a fresh installation of version 15.

Response Signature

Matrix_Neo_33
Level 1
Level 1

@Nithin Eluvathingal

For option 2, have you conducted a "Fresh Install with Data Export"? 
If not wanting to use PCD, wondering what the full steps are for this method as Cisco documentation is lite...
I.e. When deploying the new vm (old Pub shutdown), is there concern for replication to the old nodes (Subscribers) when the new Pub comes up, or is this all addressed after all nodes are completed with the "fresh install and do a full cluster reboot as mentioned when conducting DRS restore of a cluster? 

**Intention being to migrate to 15Su1 from 12.5 (address vm requirement with new OVA) while there being limited to no disruption to the phones/service while conducting upgrade with FIWDE method.