cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial-peer matching when inbound Translation rule is applied to Port

Randall White
Level 3
Level 3

If I apply an inbound voice translation rule to a voice port, does it match the POTS dial-peer before or after translation?

(Yes, I know that outbound and VoIP dial-peers match the pattern first, then translate second).

Suppose I have a T1-PRI that is sending in 10 digits in the range 844-555-22XX.

Which POTS dial-peer will be chosen for the inbound leg?

voice translation-rule 1
 rule 1 /^844555\(....\)/ /11\1/
!
voice translation-profile PRIPREFIX
 translate called 1
!
voice-port 0/0/0:23
 translation-profile incoming PRIPREFIX
!
dial-peer voice 1 pots
 incoming called-number ^11....$
 direct-inward-dial
!
dial-peer voice 2 pots
 incoming called-number ^844555....$
 direct-inward-dial

Thanks, R

5 Replies 5

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Randall,

With the information you provided it would hit dial peer 2. 

You can test this by turning debug dial peer on and make an inbound call.

after the DP gets hit, then the  translation gets applied

Please rate if useful

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Actually, it hits Dial Peer 1.

"Debug Voip Dialpeer Inout" shows that the Called Number is the 6 digit 11XXXX number after translation. The original 10 digit DID never shows up in the debug output (the Telco is outpulsing 10 digits).

"Show Voice Call Stat" indicates the inbound DP is 1

I think behavior is different when the translation profile is applied directly to a voice port, but I can't find any documentation to prove it. This is IOS 15.4(3)M6a on a 3945.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you applied the translation to the inbound voice port, the translation takes place first prior to matching any dial-peers. 

Chris is right (+5), for inbound calls on POTS ports the translation-profile on Voice-port is done before translation-profile on dial-peers. And this behaviour has never changed.

For incoming calls, the first translation done on the router is applying the "num-exp" command, then the "voice translation profile incoming" translation under the voice-port. Then, the following translations on dial-peers incoming/outgoing are done.

For outgoing calls, the last thing done on the router is applying the "voice translation profile outgoing" on voice-port.

Keep in mind, if we suppose the num-exp is not there, that translations on Voice-port are the FIRST translations done for an incoming call, and the LAST translations done for an outgoing call.

I've done a quick search but I didn't find a document stating the orders of translation profiles. But I'm sure of it, if you have done CIPTV1 (or older CVOICE too) this is exhaustively explained there and it's clearly stated that, among others, the translation-profile on voice-port is done before translation-profile in dial-peers in an inbound call scenario.

Devansh
Level 1
Level 1

Voice port --> inbound Dial peer