Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

En Block calls work digit by digit not working

I have a site where my phones will not make a call when I send the information digit by digit but they do work when it is En Block.  If I pick up the receiver and dial a number when I am done it just sits there and never seems to do anything.  If I dial in the full number then pick up the receiver call goes through no problem.  I don't believe it is the phone configuration because if I pick up the phone and move it to a different site it works just fine.  This leads me to believe it is a network issue at this site but I don't know what on the network would cause this.

5 Replies 5

First, verify whether there is a conflicting dial plan for the number you are attempting to dial. This behavior can occur if there are conflicting dial plans.

Next, consider running a DNA (Dialed Number Analyzer) to understand how the call is processed. The DNA analysis will provide insights into the call routing and potential issues.

Response Signature

CUCM processes en-bloc and digit-by-digit dialing differently. When sending en-bloc it will evaluate the string as a single unit, where with digit-by-digit it will evaluate the dialstring anew each time a new digit comes in.

The behavior you are describing makes me think you have a pattern in your system that is longer (such as one with a !) than the en-bloc digit string. The Route Plan report can help you find patterns, but it depends on how complex your dial plan is for finding the culprit.

It should be noted that the Dialed Number Analyzer assumes enbloc dialing, so putting in the string you are already dialing might not be useful. However, I was thinking that putting a number in the DNA that is one digit longer than your standard dial might find the pattern that is matched.

Also, you can confirm that overlapping dialplan is the culprit by dialing digit-by-digit and then waiting for the T302 timer (15 seconds by default) to expire and see what happens. If the call completes after the timer expires you know you have an overlapping dialstring somewhere.

Maren

My first thought was also that there might be a different pattern it was waiting to match but I do not have any overlapping patterns for the numbers I am dialing.  I also did wait the 15 seconds and it just never went through...  Also, I am using the exact same CSS's at all my other sites and this one site is the only one having this issue.

Well now THAT is interesting! The suggestion that @Scott Leport made about seeing if the call is being sent to your gateway is a good one. That would show us if it is the gateway or provider that is causing the issue. If not, it has to be in CUCM.

Would you be able to post a trace file that includes one of these calls? The trace file will show us step by step what CUCM is thinking as it is processing the call, and importantly if it is receiving any errors from devices or gateways.

Maren

Scott Leport
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

What type of calls are you experiencing this with? On-net calling between phones in the same or different cluster? Is it with internal to external calling?

If it's the former, does the site with the problem phone match the same route pattern that a phone at a different site (which doesn't have the problem) would match? If matching on a different route pattern, are the route patterns configured similarly? Is it a problem with all phones at the same site or just that one phone? Is it the same CM sever processing the call enbloc or digit by digit (at the problem site and the other site).

If it's the latter, have you verified your matching the same dial-peer(s) when dialling digit by digit or enbloc? Is the call going out the same provider? What do the debugs on your voice gateway / CUBE tell you? Use the right debug for your connection to your ISP, debug ccsip messages for SIP or debug isdn q931 for ISDN.