cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forwarding calls on an extension(no handset)

spaansj05
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've recently been given the reigns of our VoIP system after the engineer managing it moved to another company. I know how to setup phones, accounts, etc. as well as some more advanced tasks but I'm learning on the fly here mostly.

I recently received a request for an extension that can be used for a team's on call schedule. This extension would not be tied to a handset(ideally) and users need to be able to forward calls for that line to their cell phones, either via calling into the phone system or by using a webpage. 

CUCM version is 9.1.2

CUC Administration version 9.1.1

I have created the extension via CUCM under Call Routing>Directory Number and am able to make calls to that number. But I am unsure what I should do to give users access to forward this extension to their cell phones. They need to be able to change this weekly so myself configuring the forwarding on a weekly basis is not ideal. 

I tried setting up a local user account in CUC Administration and tying the extension to that account but they can't login to the CUCM User Options page with those credentials for some reason.

Any assistance on what I'm missing or whether this should be done another way is appreciated. 

5 Replies 5

rossporubski
Level 4
Level 4

ON the "Directory Number Configuration" page, scroll down to the "Call Forward and Call Pickup Settings" section. Look for "Forward All", to the far right the Calling search space drop down field is probably set to <None>. Click the drop down and look for the search space referencing "Regional or Long Distance". Change to that search space, then click Save. Now you can put the destination DID in the Forward all field. Make sure to append your dial out digit and or any long distance prefix then the ten digit DID. Save it.

Directory Number Confituration

Thanks Ross. 

Is there a way that I can allow users to change the Destination DID via calling in to the system or via web interface?

There should be a CM User page https://1xx.xx.xxx.xx/ccmuser/ page but typically most companies don't publicize because they don't want the headache of supporting all of the user configs for speed dials and personal address books and such. In order to use this page, the subscriber has to be CTI enabled.

EDIT.....if you want to make it easy on yourself as you're getting started. Tell the on call guys to tell you when and who is going on call and you edit their Directory Number configuration for them. It'll save you a lot of time and frustration dealing with their problems figuring out how to use their CM User page.

We do have the User page enabled, but we don't advertise it for reasons you have pointed out. The persons that would be changing the forwarded number for this extension are Information Technology employees so we feel comfortable giving them access to the CM User webpage. 

I'm still unsure how I make the directory number show up on their CM User page. I have the extension setup as an Alternate Extension under the username in CUC Administration. 

I think there must be a step I'm missing yet.......do I need to link the username with the directory number in CUCM? I do not see how to do that under the End User Configuration. Seems I can only add a device, not a line.........and under the Directory Number configuration, I don't see anywhere to associate the user to the extension. 

In UCM "User Management>End User" you have to assign them a PIN and CTI user permission. Once they have the pin they login with either their LDAP username or their UCM UserID and PIN to the CM User page. Once they've logged in, they can personally set their forwarding from their DID to the on call phone.