cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to set up a new IP phone Cisco CP-3905 using the same phone number as the old one

patsonzero
Level 1
Level 1

Good evening everyone,

I installed a TOIP network in a small company using a ISR Cisco 2901 (CME version 15.3) and IP phones Cisco CP-3905 . Among these IP phones, there is one that is damaged. I bought a new IP Phone Cisco CP-3905 and I want to replace the damaged one. then I want that the new phone to have the same phone number as the one that is damaged. I do not know the configuration (in command lines) to do .
could someone help me?
thank you in advance

4 Replies 4

Go to the ephone of the broken phone, reconfigure it with the MAC of the new phone, issue "create cnf-files" under telephony-service and plug in the new phone.

config t

ephone ##

mac-address <mac.of.new.phone>

exit

telephony-service

create cnf-files

end

wr mem

HI,

I tried this method but it does not work. see below

Router_VOIP#conf t
Router_VOIP(config)#ephone 1
Router_VOIP(config-ephone)#mac-address 00D0.D311.4AAD
ephone slot is already registered with 00D0.5808.0C83
Cannot change MAC address.
Router_VOIP(config-ephone)#

The old phone is not plugged in when you do this, right? If not, unplug it. Then try the following:

ephone 1

reset

no mac-address

mac-address 00D0.D311.4AAD

telephoney-service

create cnf-files

Then plug in the new phone.

If that doesn't work, you will need to remove the old phone and re-create it with the same config, but a different mac address.

First, unplug the old phone. Do not plug in the new phone.

Second, go into your router config and copy the entire configuration of ephone 1.

Paste that config into Notepad and replace (or add) the mac with the new one.

Back in your router, reset and then delete the existing ephone 1 with:

ephone 1

reset

no ephone 1

Then paste the config from Notepad (with the new mac) into your router.

Then, of course, issue 'create cnf-files' again.

I don't *think* this should cause any issues with CUE or with other components in your router as long as the config is exactly the same.

Remove the MAC first and add the new MAC if you are going to use the same ephone. If not and have auto registration enabled, the CME would have assigned a ephone tag to it already which you can check with the "show ephone reg" command. Use that same ephone to add the new one.

Remember, when you remove the MAC from the ephone, it removes the "button" config as well. So after the MAC change, re-add the button config and do a "create cnf" under telephony to push update to the config file. Your phone should be good post that.