cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Iridium Satellite phone integration with Cisco PABX

inhamit
Level 1
Level 1

HI, we have project requirement to integrate the Iridium Satellite phone integration with Cisco PABX to make a calls in case of emergency. Can you please suggest, what can we achieved with this interface.

1) can we make calls on any number at cisco PABX side from satellite phone or call can we done on predefined numbers?

2) what are the devices required for this interface?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

If your CUCM is linked to a PSTN network and youā€™re attempting to contact a desk phone via PSTN, you can connect to CUCM extensions by dialing the DID numbers.

However, if youā€™re seeking a way to call CUCM extensions directly, not through PSTN but by using extensions alone, a trunk connection between your CUCM and satellite provider is necessary. To my knowledge, itā€™s not possible to establish a direct SIP trunk from CUCM to your Satellite phone to call extensions.

In my experience, there are sites with satellite links where Cisco phones are installed, and these phones register with the CUCM over the satellite link.

Response Signature

If your CUCM is linked to a PSTN network and youā€™re attempting to contact a desk phone via PSTN, you can connect to CUCM extensions by dialing the DID numbers.

In this case, interface is via PSTN so we will dependent on PSTN connection.

However, if youā€™re seeking a way to call CUCM extensions directly, not through PSTN but by using extensions alone, a trunk connection between your CUCM and satellite provider is necessary. To my knowledge, itā€™s not possible to establish a direct SIP trunk from CUCM to your Satellite phone to call extensions.

OK, noted. Will it be possible to map the one cucm phone with satellite phone connection. Satellite phone have output to interface with analog gateway, that gateway shall route a call to extensions via cucm.

In my experience, there are sites with satellite links where Cisco phones are installed, and these phones register with the CUCM over the satellite link.

Yes, but our requirement to interface the iridium satellite phone extension with cucm.

Could you please suggest here?

If we interface one of the iridium extension via gateway and configure that gateway in cucm, will it work like a pstn?

If I understood correctly, the satellite phone has an interface to connect to an analog gateway. Your question is whether this analog gateway can be connected to the CUCM (Cisco Unified Communications Manager), correct?

If your analog gateway supports trunks, you can create a trunk towards CUCM and configure the routing. In theory, this should work. However, I havenā€™t seen your specific devices or im  unaware of your setup .

Response Signature

My typical setup is like this. We have 3 analog ports on the Iridium below deck device where 2 ports are directly connected to analog phones and 1 ports is connected to analog gateway (typically VG202XM). In this case, one of the the iridium extension is routed to CUCM to make calls vice versa. Can we make calls from any extension of cucm towards iridium phone side or outside of the facility just like PSTN?  

inhamit_0-1714359784573.png