cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving ISR config to another ISR

Robert3487
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm helping to move the configuration from some routers to the same 4300 series router. They are being replaced due to the clock signaling issue. I watched the video posted in this thread: /isr4300-clock-signal-field-notice-64253-migration-assistance

and though it was helpful it left me with a couple questions. First of all I'm not replacing anything inside the router like his full length post above. The routers are the same we just need to move the configurations over. In the video he shows that he copies the routers image to usb, then he copies the configuration to usb. He then restores the router image and the config from the usb. My question is why is it necessary to move the image over to the new router? Wouldn't they be the same ios same versions since they are basically identical? I'm not against doing it, just trying to understand the purpose behind it.

Also I wanted to ask another question, when we originally tried doing this we ran out of time, we were trying to drop the config in section by section from a txt file, as we did this the router had some commands it didnt want to take, they all began with "crypto" are these going to not carry over if copied and moved over via usb? Or do these commands need something else before they can be accepted by the router?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7
I would go for the "copy section by section" method, for me it the easiest and fastest way to do it. About the "crypto" section that won't be accepted, you don't need to move it at all, just ignore it and go to the next section. This is just the self-signed certificate of the router. Just do not forget to do "crypto key generate rsa" on the new router, so it'll generate the RSA keys, otherwise without it you won't be able to run SSH afterwards.
Another thing I would recommend is to check with firmware is running on the current router you're replacing, and which firmware is running on the new one. If on the new one, the firmware is newer, I wouldn't touch it and just continue, if the new router is running an older firmware, I would first upgrade it to be like the previous router and an new version.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7
I would go for the "copy section by section" method, for me it the easiest and fastest way to do it. About the "crypto" section that won't be accepted, you don't need to move it at all, just ignore it and go to the next section. This is just the self-signed certificate of the router. Just do not forget to do "crypto key generate rsa" on the new router, so it'll generate the RSA keys, otherwise without it you won't be able to run SSH afterwards.
Another thing I would recommend is to check with firmware is running on the current router you're replacing, and which firmware is running on the new one. If on the new one, the firmware is newer, I wouldn't touch it and just continue, if the new router is running an older firmware, I would first upgrade it to be like the previous router and an new version.