cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone keep reregistering

Baiju Mehta
Level 1
Level 1

I recently deployed CUCM 11.   One issue we are having is frequently after calls the phone goes to the blue screen where it says "Phone is Registering".  This frequently happens after a call and sometimes during a call.  Then the users phone is down for 30 seconds to a minute while it reregisters.  I looked on the console logs on a phone I know it is happening on and there are messages where it says sip unregistered, sip registered.  

It is happening on multiple phones.  

I wanted to see if you guys had any ideas on what might be causing this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Below are some of the error cause codes I am seeing:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/err_msgs/8_x/ccmalarms801.html

6: ConnectivityError - Network communication between the device and Unified CM has been interrupted. Possible causes include device power outage, network power outage, network configuration error, network delay, packet drops, and packet corruption. It is also possible to get this error if the Unified CM node is experiencing high CPU usage. Verify that the device is powered up and operating, verify that network connectivity exists between the device and Unified CM, and verify that the CPU utilization is in the safe range (you can monitor this via the CPU Pegging Alert in RTMT).

13: KeepAliveTimeout - A KeepAlive message was not received. Possible causes include device power outage, network power outage, network configuration error, network delay, packet drops, and packet corruption. It is also possible to get this error if the Unified CM node is experiencing high CPU usage. Verify that the device is powered up and operating, verify that network connectivity exists between the device and Unified CM, and verify that the CPU utilization is in the safe range (you can monitor this via the CPU Pegging Alert in RTMT). No action is necessary; the device will re-register automatically.

16: DuplicateRegistration - Unified CM detected that the device attempted to register to two nodes at the same time. Unified CM initiated a restart to the phone to force it to re-home to a single node. No action is necessary; the device will re-register automatically.

18: DeviceNoResponse - The device did not respond to a reset or restart notification, so it is being forcefully reset. If the device does not re-register within 5 minutes, confirm that the device is powered-up and confirm that network connectivity exists between the device and Unified CM.

##### 12:52:21.115 || EndPointUnregistered || Reason:6
07516954.003 |12:52:21.115 |AlarmErr |AlarmClass: CallManager, AlarmName: EndPointUnregistered, AlarmSeverity: Error, AlarmMessage: , AlarmDescription: An endpoint has unregistered, AlarmParameters:  DeviceName:SEP38ED18AFE069, IPAddress:10.1.8.119, Protocol:SIP, DeviceType:685, Description:Ms. V x1411, Reason:6, IPAddrAttributes:0, LastSignalReceived:SIPConnControlInd, AppID:Cisco CallManager, ClusterID:StandAloneCluster, NodeID:tps-cucm1,

##### 12:52:24.645 || EndPointUnregistered || Reason:13
07517144.003 |12:52:24.645 |AlarmErr |AlarmClass: CallManager, AlarmName: EndPointUnregistered, AlarmSeverity: Error, AlarmMessage: , AlarmDescription: An endpoint has unregistered, AlarmParameters:  DeviceName:SEP00AF1F9CB476, IPAddress:10.1.8.89, Protocol:SIP, DeviceType:683, Description:Tony Rhone x1023, Reason:13, IPAddrAttributes:0, LastSignalReceived:SIPStationDPrimaryLineTimeout, AppID:Cisco CallManager, ClusterID:StandAloneCluster, NodeID:tps-cucm1,

##### 11:59:29.217 || EndPointUnregistered || Reason:16
07484602.023 |11:59:29.217 |AlarmErr |AlarmClass: CallManager, AlarmName: EndPointUnregistered, AlarmSeverity: Error, AlarmMessage: , AlarmDescription: An endpoint has unregistered, AlarmParameters:  DeviceName:SEP00AF1F9CEF41, IPAddress:10.1.8.95, Protocol:SIP, DeviceType:683, Description:Matt Moore x1013, Reason:16, IPAddrAttributes:0, AppID:Cisco CallManager, ClusterID:StandAloneCluster, NodeID:tps-cucm1,

##### 12:02:17.359 || EndPointUnregistered || Reason:18
08478814.003 |12:02:17.359 |AlarmErr |AlarmClass: CallManager, AlarmName: EndPointUnregistered, AlarmSeverity: Error, AlarmMessage: , AlarmDescription: An endpoint has unregistered, AlarmParameters:  DeviceName:SEP38ED18AFE069, IPAddress:10.1.8.119, Protocol:SIP, DeviceType:685, Description:Ms. V x1411, Reason:18, IPAddrAttributes:0, LastSignalReceived:ServiceControlNotifyResponseTimeout, AppID:Cisco CallManager, ClusterID:StandAloneCluster, NodeID:tps-cucm2,

These all point to network issues. Along with the TCP-Timeout message on the phone, I would be confident in taking the issue to the network team; however, if you want more data you can get the pcaps.

-------------

Please rate helpful content (i.e. videos, documents, comments) so quality content shows at the top of people's search results. Also, please select the correct answer(s) if any comment(s) answers your question otherwise the question remains on the support forums as unanswered.

-------------

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

pkinane
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would recommend to check the status messages on the phones before checking the console logs. Also, gather the CCM logs, the event viewer application logs, and event viewer system logs (I recommend pulling for an hour worth of time).

If you attach all here, I can look. If you upload the console logs as well that may be helpful.

---------------------------
Please rate helpful content (i.e. videos, documents, comments). Also, please select the correct answer(s) if any comment(s) answer your question otherwise the questions remains on the support forums as unanswered
---------------------------

This is running on a BE6000 platform so there is no event viewer logs.  I am attaching the console logs.

When I click status messages, here is what is displayed

[12:01:57pm 05/17/16] SEP38ED18AFE069.cnf.xml.sgn(HTTP)
[12:01:58pm 05/17/16] VPN not configured
[12:02:08pm 05/17/16] Reset-Restart
[12:02:17pm 05/17/16] SEP38ED18AFE069.cnf.xml.sgn(TFTP)
[12:02:19pm 05/17/16] VPN not configured
[12:49:09pm 05/17/16] TCP-timeout
[12:52:15pm 05/17/16] TCP-timeout
[12:52:19pm 05/17/16] ITL installed
[12:52:21pm 05/17/16] SEP38ED18AFE069.cnf.xml.sgn(HTTP)
[12:52:22pm 05/17/16] VPN not configured

I will upload the CCM logs shortly.  

I will take a deeper look; however, "TCP-timeout" on the status messages would cause me to recommend following the advice of areyal. Get a pcap from the phone and the server, then wait for the phone to unregister and gather the pcaps from the phone and server.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/44376/packet-capture-cucm-appliance-model

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/44741/collecting-packet-capture-cisco-ip-phone

-------------

Please rate helpful content (i.e. videos, documents, comments) so quality content shows at the top of people's search results. Also, please select the correct answer(s) if any comment(s) answers your question otherwise the question remains on the support forums as unanswered.

-------------

Below are some of the error cause codes I am seeing:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/err_msgs/8_x/ccmalarms801.html

6: ConnectivityError - Network communication between the device and Unified CM has been interrupted. Possible causes include device power outage, network power outage, network configuration error, network delay, packet drops, and packet corruption. It is also possible to get this error if the Unified CM node is experiencing high CPU usage. Verify that the device is powered up and operating, verify that network connectivity exists between the device and Unified CM, and verify that the CPU utilization is in the safe range (you can monitor this via the CPU Pegging Alert in RTMT).

13: KeepAliveTimeout - A KeepAlive message was not received. Possible causes include device power outage, network power outage, network configuration error, network delay, packet drops, and packet corruption. It is also possible to get this error if the Unified CM node is experiencing high CPU usage. Verify that the device is powered up and operating, verify that network connectivity exists between the device and Unified CM, and verify that the CPU utilization is in the safe range (you can monitor this via the CPU Pegging Alert in RTMT). No action is necessary; the device will re-register automatically.

16: DuplicateRegistration - Unified CM detected that the device attempted to register to two nodes at the same time. Unified CM initiated a restart to the phone to force it to re-home to a single node. No action is necessary; the device will re-register automatically.

18: DeviceNoResponse - The device did not respond to a reset or restart notification, so it is being forcefully reset. If the device does not re-register within 5 minutes, confirm that the device is powered-up and confirm that network connectivity exists between the device and Unified CM.

##### 12:52:21.115 || EndPointUnregistered || Reason:6
07516954.003 |12:52:21.115 |AlarmErr |AlarmClass: CallManager, AlarmName: EndPointUnregistered, AlarmSeverity: Error, AlarmMessage: , AlarmDescription: An endpoint has unregistered, AlarmParameters:  DeviceName:SEP38ED18AFE069, IPAddress:10.1.8.119, Protocol:SIP, DeviceType:685, Description:Ms. V x1411, Reason:6, IPAddrAttributes:0, LastSignalReceived:SIPConnControlInd, AppID:Cisco CallManager, ClusterID:StandAloneCluster, NodeID:tps-cucm1,

##### 12:52:24.645 || EndPointUnregistered || Reason:13
07517144.003 |12:52:24.645 |AlarmErr |AlarmClass: CallManager, AlarmName: EndPointUnregistered, AlarmSeverity: Error, AlarmMessage: , AlarmDescription: An endpoint has unregistered, AlarmParameters:  DeviceName:SEP00AF1F9CB476, IPAddress:10.1.8.89, Protocol:SIP, DeviceType:683, Description:Tony Rhone x1023, Reason:13, IPAddrAttributes:0, LastSignalReceived:SIPStationDPrimaryLineTimeout, AppID:Cisco CallManager, ClusterID:StandAloneCluster, NodeID:tps-cucm1,

##### 11:59:29.217 || EndPointUnregistered || Reason:16
07484602.023 |11:59:29.217 |AlarmErr |AlarmClass: CallManager, AlarmName: EndPointUnregistered, AlarmSeverity: Error, AlarmMessage: , AlarmDescription: An endpoint has unregistered, AlarmParameters:  DeviceName:SEP00AF1F9CEF41, IPAddress:10.1.8.95, Protocol:SIP, DeviceType:683, Description:Matt Moore x1013, Reason:16, IPAddrAttributes:0, AppID:Cisco CallManager, ClusterID:StandAloneCluster, NodeID:tps-cucm1,

##### 12:02:17.359 || EndPointUnregistered || Reason:18
08478814.003 |12:02:17.359 |AlarmErr |AlarmClass: CallManager, AlarmName: EndPointUnregistered, AlarmSeverity: Error, AlarmMessage: , AlarmDescription: An endpoint has unregistered, AlarmParameters:  DeviceName:SEP38ED18AFE069, IPAddress:10.1.8.119, Protocol:SIP, DeviceType:685, Description:Ms. V x1411, Reason:18, IPAddrAttributes:0, LastSignalReceived:ServiceControlNotifyResponseTimeout, AppID:Cisco CallManager, ClusterID:StandAloneCluster, NodeID:tps-cucm2,

These all point to network issues. Along with the TCP-Timeout message on the phone, I would be confident in taking the issue to the network team; however, if you want more data you can get the pcaps.

-------------

-------------

You also have a good amount of calls terminating with cause value 41:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/8_6_1/cdrdef/cdradmin/cdrcodes.html

Temporary failure

I would expect that to change once the network issue is resolved.

-------------

-------------

We are reviewing the network to see what may be the issue.  

Just to close the loop on this, the issue was the firmware on our core switches.  Long story short we upgraded the power from 120v to 240v and I guess there was a bug on the firmware related to power with the version we were running.  

Prior, to the firmware upgrade, my temporary fix for this issue was to shutdown the ports on our secondary core that connected to the CM.  Shutting down the ports was a temporary fix, but after we upgraded the switch firmware and no shut the ports everything worked fine.  

Baiju, can you share specifics regarding the issue with your core switches?  Prior firmware and upgraded firmware, power version, and switch type would be helpful?  Trying to troubleshoot the same issue.

Baiju,

We would love to hear what the bug ID was as well as the code version?!

Thank you,

Mary

@Baiju Mehta wrote:

Just to close the loop on this, the issue was the firmware on our core switches.  Long story short we upgraded the power from 120v to 240v and I guess there was a bug on the firmware related to power with the version we were running.  

Prior, to the firmware upgrade, my temporary fix for this issue was to shutdown the ports on our secondary core that connected to the CM.  Shutting down the ports was a temporary fix, but after we upgraded the switch firmware and no shut the ports everything worked fine.  

Here are the CCM logs from 12 - 1pm EST

If this issue is frequent also advising to collect the PCAP from the phone with all the logs mentioned above.

Regards

Abhay Reyal

Regards
Abhay Singh Reyal
The Only Way To Do Great Work Is To Love What You Do. If You Haven’t Found It Yet, Keep Looking. Don’t Settle