cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI NI2 Protocol

mramirez-t
Level 1
Level 1

We have two PRIs for local inbound/outbound calls and a T1 for TFNs and long distance outbound.  We want to switch over the T1 to a PRI as well.  My phone provider is asking if we're going to be using NI2 protocol.  I'm not sure if we will be.  I would assume that if we're using NI2 on the exisitng two PRIs that we would be on the one we're cutting over to but honestly don't know.  The two PRIs and the T1 both connect to a 2921 voice router.  How can I check that?  

Any help's appreciated.  Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Do a "show isdn status" and there should be a like stating the ISDN switch type. "primary-ni" on a Cisco IOS covers NI2 as well so you should be good.

View solution in original post

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sounds like you are switching from T1 CAS to CCS T1-PRI (D-channel), if so NI2 refers to the ISDN switch type protocol (T1 CAS is not based on ISDN thus no switch type) and NI2 is the most commonly used variant on T1-PRI ISDN switch type(not E1), so the answer is YES you should be using NI2 on your T1-PRIs.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Do a "show isdn status" and there should be a like stating the ISDN switch type. "primary-ni" on a Cisco IOS covers NI2 as well so you should be good.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sounds like you are switching from T1 CAS to CCS T1-PRI (D-channel), if so NI2 refers to the ISDN switch type protocol (T1 CAS is not based on ISDN thus no switch type) and NI2 is the most commonly used variant on T1-PRI ISDN switch type(not E1), so the answer is YES you should be using NI2 on your T1-PRIs.