cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RTP Doesn't Show In Translator X But Receive Error Message From Telco

Michael Mertens
Level 1
Level 1

I have more of a "I don't understand question" I'm hoping to get answered...I have a new pilot SIP trunk which hasn't been used in months...When I make a call outbound, I hear a message "This line has been placed out of service. Your call cannot be processed. Please call your administrator", which I assume is the carrier's message and not some new annunciator/message from CUCM.

However, when I look at the TranslatorX debug, I never see an RTP stream (which I would assume how I hear the telco error message). All I see are 

INVITE> 

<TRYING

<RINGING

<200 OK

OK>

Please see the attached Translator X diagram. I'm perplexed and was hoping someone can explain to me the error in my thinking, or provide some other explanation please.

Thank You.

Mike

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

TranslatorX analyzes control messaging, but does not process media (such as RTP). The SDP embedded in the SIP messaging would show you the negotiation of the RTP stream, but not the RTP stream itself.

CUBE IP Traffic Export - Packet Capture 

To capture the RTP stream you would need to either capture it on the router itself (PCAP) or use Wirehshark on a port or PC that is receiving the RTP stream.

Maren

View solution in original post

The translator X serves as a tool for reading the SIP messages involved in communications. To retrieve the actual RTP data, you’ll need to conduct a PCAP (Packet Capture) or utilize Wireshark for analysis.As Maren Mahoney pointed out, when working with the RTP To retrieve the actual RTP data, you’ll need to conduct a PCAP (Packet Capture) or utilize Wireshark for analysis.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

TranslatorX analyzes control messaging, but does not process media (such as RTP). The SDP embedded in the SIP messaging would show you the negotiation of the RTP stream, but not the RTP stream itself.

CUBE IP Traffic Export - Packet Capture 

To capture the RTP stream you would need to either capture it on the router itself (PCAP) or use Wirehshark on a port or PC that is receiving the RTP stream.

Maren

Steven L
Spotlight
Spotlight

StevenL_0-1709075390507.png

If you look at the above, the RTP stream is established after the "Ack"

The yellow line here is not part of the signaling, as @Maren Mahoney stated.

The translator X serves as a tool for reading the SIP messages involved in communications. To retrieve the actual RTP data, you’ll need to conduct a PCAP (Packet Capture) or utilize Wireshark for analysis.As Maren Mahoney pointed out, when working with the RTP To retrieve the actual RTP data, you’ll need to conduct a PCAP (Packet Capture) or utilize Wireshark for analysis.

Response Signature