Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up first lab with 7960 phones

Adam Roddy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am a CCNP R&S, and I am just starting my dive into the world of Cisco Voice.  So please excuse my lack of knowledge as this whole voip thing is new to me.  To begin my studies I have purchased some ebay equipment including a 2811 Router, 3550 PoE switch and 2 7960 phones.

The problem I am facing is getting my 7960 phone to register to my CME. 

I have done a factory reset of the phone to clear the network settings, and I confirmed my phone is getting a DHCP address (along with option 150).  However, it is not registering with CME because I do not have the firmware files it is looking for.  My understanding is that I need to have the phone firmware loaded onto my CME router.  However, since this is an ebay phone it does not have default firmware loaded on it.

I have tried to follow this document to get a procedure on upgrading the firmware:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/mgcp/firmware/matrix/frmwrup.html

First off, in order for me to pick the correct procedure it is asking me what the current image is on the phone.  How am I supposed to find out what image is currently on the phone?

Also when looking at procedures A-F, most of them are not very detailed and just leave me (a beginner) confused.

Is there any easy way to do this??

Any help is much appriciated.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
How am I supposed to find out what image is currently on the phone?

Settings > Status > Firmware Version

leolaohoo,

Thanks for the reply.

One thing I did not mention is that the "Settings" button (or any other for that matter) do not function after the phone boots up.  The phone gets an IP addres then sits on a screen saying "TFTP file not found".  I try to press Settings and nothing happens.