Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using PCD to go Physical to Virtual with Same IPs

Hi guys,

I have a customer running CUCM 8.5.1 on old MCS hardware.  I want to use PCD to move them to virtual using the same IPs.  However, I am a little concerned about the target version.  Does it make sense to go to 11.5 directly?  If so, how do I address re-licensing?  Also, they have a UCCX box running on a phsyical machine as well.  Will there be compatibility issues with UCCX 8.5 and UCM 11.5?  They do not run any Unity Connection or IM & P.  They only services are UCM and UCCX.

I would imagine PCD creates the new virtual machines and leaves them powered off to avoid IP conflicts, and I also believe the new cluster would come with the 60-day temporary license for all the phones.  Is there something I should export from the 8.5 cluster to have GLO generate a permanent license when we get PLM going on the new cluster?

Thanks,

Sal

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, this would require you create a whole lab setup to mock the production network, and use NAT to get the info from one network to the other.

Have you reviewed the UCCX compatibility tables??

And you're wrong, how would you expect a migration to work, if the machines are powered off??

If you try to install CUCM, and just deploy the OVA, but do not turn it o... how would you install CUCM on it??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I thought PCD might create the VMDK on the PCD machine and just copy it to the new server.  This is how I would have designed it, but that's just me.  People do P2V in VMWare all the time and that's how it works. 

Basically what you're saying is that if I want to migrate I have to re-IP at the same time.  No problem there.  I think I will set the "Rollback" paramter to true, reset all the phones, do the migration to virtual with new IP using PCD, change the Option 150 in the DHCP scope to point to the new TFTP, issue a reset on the old CUCM, the phones will reset, get a new Option 150 from DHCP, register to the new cluster, and get a new ITL file, and upgrade their firmware.

Sound good?

Also, if I must, I can track down a bootable ISO of their existing version, load it into VMware in a disconnected environment, and restore a DRS backup.  That can work too I guess and I'll just stay at the same version.

And yes, I will check the UCCX compatibility guide.

Sal

Nope, that's not how PCD works, you can see how it works here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd7dvvP103E&t=8s&list=PLFuOESqSTxEvZChqWgAJanctohRMe99CR&index=10

Both clusters will be running at the same time for this.

No, you can certainly migrate using the same IP, but you need to stage a whole lab where you'll have access to the LDAP server, NTP, DNS, etc. from the production network. And PCD needs to have access to the production cluster, AND the new cluster, at the same time. That's why you use NAT.

If you re-IP it's obviously easier, as you just need to add the DNS entries for the network check.

In any scenario, you will need bootable media, PCD comes without any CUCM/IM&P installation media loaded, you need to load it manually to the SFTP repository for PCD to use it.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate