cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voicemail recovery

ctalavat
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 8945 phone that changed configurations in the last 24 hours.  Yesterday, the user was able to retrieve voicemails without needing a PIN.  Now it is requesting a PIN and the prompt doesn't offer to listen to voicemails.  It's the generic, "Hello, you have reached the Cisco Messaging Center..."

20 Replies 20

Ok.  I will make the changes.  I didn't set these phones up in the beginning, so I don't have any knowledge.  I was given the responsibility by my boss, so I know barely the basics.  

No worries,

we are always glad to help so don’t hesitate to ask if you’ll need further help

Cheers

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

What is the difference between the numbers in the voice mail box mask?  I'm having the same issue with another phone now not being able to listen to voice mails.  PIN isn't an issue this time. 

The way it works is that for a Direct Call to CUC (like pressing the VM button on a phone), CUC looks at the calling number and uses that to try to match a voicemail box in order to send the call to the Sign-In Conversation.

If you need to change the "dialed number" that CUC sees (because the extension on the phone does not match the extension on the VM Box) you can mask the number using the Voicemail Profile. CUC will replace (or mask) the calling party and try to match on the changed number.

So, if your user has an extension of 8050 and their VM Box also has an extension of 8050 then you don't need a mask on the VM Profile because no change needs to be made.

Most of the time, users' extensions and their VM Boxes have the same number. So most of the time a single VM Profile with no mask can be used for all of your users.

I hope this explanation helps. Let us know if you have additional questions.

Maren

Attached is screenshot of voice mail profile for extension 8040. The voice mail box mask is 7368.  I'm not sure why that was assigned but the prompt is the generic "Welcome to Cisco..."

Thank you for the explanation.  That does help me some.