cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voicemail recovery

ctalavat
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 8945 phone that changed configurations in the last 24 hours.  Yesterday, the user was able to retrieve voicemails without needing a PIN.  Now it is requesting a PIN and the prompt doesn't offer to listen to voicemails.  It's the generic, "Hello, you have reached the Cisco Messaging Center..."

20 Replies 20

Hi,

Under Unity connection user's configuration, check on Password Settings (Voicemail) if "Never Expires" is flagged or not.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

When you say it changed configuration, what changed? The DN? 

The behavior sounds like the DN on the phone no longer matches a voicemail box, or is matching a different one than before.

Maren

I'm not sure what happened.  All I know is that the User was able to listen to her voicemails and then the following day she was asked for a PIN.

Hi,

Is voicemail asking for the pin once the user presses the letter button or he/she hears for the default prompt “Unity Connection Messaging System “?

In the first case it’s the normal behavior of Ucnx and you should check if PIN has not expired or the option "Skip PIN when calling from a known extension". is unselected.

In the second case as Maren correctly stated, check if something has chaged on user’s line configuration on voicemail profile.

Please let us know.

Regards

Carlo

I believe that it does ask for a PIN from the get go.  To my knowledge, nothing has been changed on her configuration.

Well.. if  she’s the only user affected, I doubt that there is a System issue that would affect more users.

If she was not asked to digit a pin to access her VM, here profile on Unity Connection was configured with the option mentioned above.

If now the behavior is different I would check on user’s profile if , for some reasons, has been locked out or, as mentioned, would check the extension configuration also trying to change her voicemail profile observing the difference.

Are you able to check those configuration through all customers UC deployment?

Thanks a lot

Regards

Carlo

Dialing 7777 usually works to hear voicemails or make a greeting change but when I did 7777, it does to the default message not allowing voicemails to be heard. I have made several changes to the Line Group and Voice Mail Profile with the same results. 

Hi,

did you give a look to user's voicemail on Unitiy Connection?

Does his/her extension exists there?

You can try to create a voicemail profile with a Mask that is the same of his/her extension and assign it to his/her Direcotory number.

Anyway, the first place to look at, is the Voicemail user on UCNx.

Please let me know.

Regards

Carlo

The first default Direct Call Routing Rule in place in CUC says that a direct call from a known extension (one associated with a voicemail box) will be sent to the Sign-In Conversation and simply asked for a PIN. (This is known as "Easy Message Access" in Cisco documentation.)

The other default rule for Direct Calls is that any direct call from any other number (one not associated with a voicemail box) will be sent to the Opening Greeting Call Handler. (That's the one that says "Unity Connection Messaging....")

So, if your user is placing a direct call to CUC from their phone and getting the Opening Greeting, then the DN from which they are dialing is not being seen by CUC as belonging to a voicemail box.

Which brings us back to: What changed on the phone between when it worked and when it didn't work? You wrote in your original post "I have a Cisco 8945 phone that changed configurations in the last 24 hours." What changed?

Maren

I've attached a screenshot of the current setting of the DN Configurations.  I am not really familiar with all the configurations; I just know that nothing was changed on my side.   

If nothing changed on your end then why did you write this in your initial post? “I have a Cisco 8945 phone that changed configurations in the last 24 hours.” To anyone reading this it would seem like there was a change made to the configuration of the device.

Response Signature

Hi,

Thanks for the attached screenshot but unfortunately that’s not enough.

I can see a custom VM profile so we need a screenshot also of that profile’s configuration to dig more into your issue.

A screenshot of user’s voicemail on Unity connection, would be also useful.

Thanks

Regards

Carlo

I have attached several screenshots of CUC and VM Profile. 

Ok,

Just one issue found.

You have assigned to the user a VM profile with a  Mask of 8000 wich means that when the user calls the Voicemail pilot, Unity Connection will search for a VM with Extension 8000 while UC VM you posted has extension 8050 and that’s why the user hears the Default UC Prompt.

Try to change Mask to 8050 in VM profile and see if it makes the difference .

HTH

Regards

Carlo