cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which ports do Phones offer in SDP with SIP?

tschafferx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco community,

scenario: Phone A --> CUCM --> Phone B | Call from Phone A to Phone B

We assue early offer is used.

Phone A places the call and sends the INVITE with its SDP. In that SDP there is also a field that distiguishes the m= audio with a port on which the phone is listening to at a later stage, when the RTP stream is up and running. QUESTION: From which port range does the phone choose its port? The same question applies for Phone B in the 200 OK message.

I read that CUCM uses RTP ports in the range of 16384 - 32767. When do these ports come into play?

Moreover did I see, that I could also specify a start and stop port range in the SIP profile.

It would be great, if someone could explain these topics to me. Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

My apologies, those cannot be found in service parameters but SIP profile as you mention.  Yes, you can change them, but why would you want to do that?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, by default phone will request to use UDP port from 16384 - 32767 range unless you change it in CUCM service parameters. Keep in mind these are ports used by Cisco and other endpoints or telcos will use other ports. Newer IOS-XE versions also changed the range, so you might see different ports negotiated by CUBEs/GWs.

Hi Chris,

thank you for your reply. I couldn't find the respective settings in the service parameters. Could I also change it in the SIP-Profile? There also seems to be an option to tweak it.

My apologies, those cannot be found in service parameters but SIP profile as you mention.  Yes, you can change them, but why would you want to do that?

I don't want to change them. I was just curious as to where the phones get those information from.

That basically means, that the phones store these information and use them when applicable. Correct?

I also wanted to know, when CUCM uses the dynamic RTP ports 16384 - 32767 / UDP. As seen here:

Table 7 Signaling, Media, and Other Communication Between Gateways and Cisco Unified Communications Manager

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/port/9_1_1/CUCM_BK_T2CA6EDE_00_tcp-port-usage-guide-91/CUCM_BK_T2CA6EDE_00_tcp-port-usage-guide-91_chapter_01.html

Maybe if the CUCM is being used as a MTP?

Thank you.