Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x in a multi-domain environment sharing common distribution

robert.lorrison
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I'm trying to figure out how best to implement 802.1x port-based authentication on a network that supports multiple tenants.  We control the distribution and access switches with clients connecting to multiple domains on different networks.  Because this is a validation and testing environment, everyone is going to eventually require their own RADIUS authentication server (probably ISE).

In other words, client A on switch A will need to authenticate with the RADIUS server belonging to tenant A, while client B (also on switch A) would need to authenticate with a different RADIUS server belonging to tenant B, and so on.  So far the closest I've come to a solution is this:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-access-control/802-1x-multi-server-radius/td-p/4488535

But that's just for use as an HA failover and not a valid solution for our environment.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ISE (and the switch config) is not designed for multi-tenancy 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ISE (and the switch config) is not designed for multi-tenancy 

you have one PSN node or two ?

Good question.  If it was up to me we'd just operate a single node, but I'm pretty sure each tenant is gonna want to stand up their own policy server.  I spoke to a Cisco engineer who recommended parsing all the clients into separate VRF's, but that creates a whole new set of problems because we'd have to create an interface vlan for every svi being used on an access port on that switch, in addition to a routed admin vlan per vrf to direct the switch to their RADIUS server.

Yeah, there are limits on how many AAA servers you can configure as well.  What is the exact use-case here?  Why so many clients on a single switch?  Why the need for full AAA separation?  

SVI x for port x-x10 in VRF x 
use radius server vrf aware PSN1
use source interface SVI x

SVI y for port y-y10 in VRF y 
use radius server vrf aware PSN2
use source interface SVI y

that can work I think, each SVI send to specific radius (PSN) server.
hope so