cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup on ISEv2.0 / Restore on ISEv2.7. Supported?

dazza_johnson
Level 5
Level 5

Hey all, does anyone know if a backup on ISEv2.0 and restore on ISEv2.7 is supported or not? The documentation I read wasn't clear-cut.

Note: For the software upgrade process, I know that you cannot jump from ISEv2.0 straight to ISEv2.7 (you must go to v2.2, v2.3, v2.4, v2.5 or v2.6 as an interim step). This is not what I am referring to, I'm referring to the backup/restore of the configuration.

Thanks!

Darren

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The information you read is correct, you won't be able to restore an ISE 2.0 backup straight to 2.7.  The backup has to be from at least 2.2 in order to do a direct restore to 2.7. The same goes for upgrading, the supported versions are the same.  
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-7/release_notes/b_ise_27_RN.html#id_126547

You also won't be able to go directly to 2.6, the minimum release to restore a backup from / upgrade is 2.1.  You could however do a restore directly to 2.4. 

You will have to do a two step upgrade from 2.0 to 2.2/2.4 or newer if you want to go to 2.7.  An alternative is to build a new deployment to migrate to. With this you could also restore a 2.0 back up in the lab/temporary node to 2.4, then take that backup and restore it to a 2.7 node. No direct path from 2.0 to 2.7. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The information you read is correct, you won't be able to restore an ISE 2.0 backup straight to 2.7.  The backup has to be from at least 2.2 in order to do a direct restore to 2.7. The same goes for upgrading, the supported versions are the same.  
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-7/release_notes/b_ise_27_RN.html#id_126547

You also won't be able to go directly to 2.6, the minimum release to restore a backup from / upgrade is 2.1.  You could however do a restore directly to 2.4. 

You will have to do a two step upgrade from 2.0 to 2.2/2.4 or newer if you want to go to 2.7.  An alternative is to build a new deployment to migrate to. With this you could also restore a 2.0 back up in the lab/temporary node to 2.4, then take that backup and restore it to a 2.7 node. No direct path from 2.0 to 2.7. 

Yeah that makes sense, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Darren