Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE and SSMS

nloverin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey guys,

I see some confusing documentation around Cisco ISE and the Cisco SSMS (satellite server for smart licensing).  All install guides suggest "Cisco Smart Software Manager satellite is not supported."  Yet, I've had other folks mention that if you enter the SSMS into Admin - System - Settings - Smart Call Home -Transport Gateway, that ISE will communicate with the SSMS as long you change the Smart License Connection Method to Transport Gateway.  If this does work, is the documentation no longer correct?  Thanks.

Neil

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

I can tell you from experience that ISE 2.4 and SSMS 5.0.1 do communicate with each other.  The licenses are all displayed correctly and all is well.  I think the documentation has been a bit neglected in that area.

But.  I have not had much joy getting this configuration to work longer than 24 hours.  After 24 hours the ISE PAN stops talking TCP to the SSMS.  Even when you try and nudge it back into life (renew subscription) then a tcpdump shows not a single TCP connection attempt from ISE.  I know that SSMS is not to blame, because the other clients (Cisco Prime Infrastructure) are working just fine.

I have given up on the SSMS<->ISE integration and gone straight to the https connection method.  it's a pity.  I think it's buggy

View solution in original post

See CSCvk21296

So, no support yet in ISE.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

I can tell you from experience that ISE 2.4 and SSMS 5.0.1 do communicate with each other.  The licenses are all displayed correctly and all is well.  I think the documentation has been a bit neglected in that area.

But.  I have not had much joy getting this configuration to work longer than 24 hours.  After 24 hours the ISE PAN stops talking TCP to the SSMS.  Even when you try and nudge it back into life (renew subscription) then a tcpdump shows not a single TCP connection attempt from ISE.  I know that SSMS is not to blame, because the other clients (Cisco Prime Infrastructure) are working just fine.

I have given up on the SSMS<->ISE integration and gone straight to the https connection method.  it's a pity.  I think it's buggy

See CSCvk21296

So, no support yet in ISE.

@hslai What product should we be using then when ISE is set to transport mode?

Either direct connections or back to traditional licensing.

It involves at least three components (call home proxy, smart licensing, and infrastructure) in ISE, so the team is looking to address it for the next ISE release.