Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE and session monitoring

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi

Is there a simple answer to this question?  What constitutes a 'Session' in ISE, and how is a session created (based on Account Session ID or Audit Session ID)?

When I look at the Operations > RADIUS > LiveSessions I can see a bunch of entries - what is the difference between Started and Authenticated, since both of them seem to be triggered on an Accounting Start?

In the context of Guest Wireless, I have observed that the Cisco WLC creates a session as soon as MAB is triggered.

Once that user logs into the Guest portal and then successfully authenticates, the WLC creates a new session.

Example below of what I am seeing  (it would be nice to have the Title (top) Row frozen ... I think someone may have raised that previously)

Will ISE create a session if the NAS doesn't send any accounting records?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE sessions are keying off endpoint IDs -- mostly RADIUS calling station IDs or MAC addresses in case of AnyConnect VPN providing ACIDEX.

Without RADIUS accounting start on a matching endpoint ID, then a session stays in Authenticated state after authentication.

CWA guest sessions maintain the same sessions from MAB to Guest auth until accounting stops.

Yes, ISE will have a session for an endpoint without RADIUS accounting.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE sessions are keying off endpoint IDs -- mostly RADIUS calling station IDs or MAC addresses in case of AnyConnect VPN providing ACIDEX.

Without RADIUS accounting start on a matching endpoint ID, then a session stays in Authenticated state after authentication.

CWA guest sessions maintain the same sessions from MAB to Guest auth until accounting stops.

Yes, ISE will have a session for an endpoint without RADIUS accounting.

thanks.  I tried to make sense of it by sorting the columns. OMG. I can't get the sorting to work.  The little icon appears to indicate ascending/descending, but nothing happens.  ISE 2.3 - another bug ?  Tried Firefox and Chrome.  It seems no sorting works in RADIUS or TACACS Live Logs either.

Not having a great ISE day. My PAN node crashed today when I tried deleting 300 out of a total of 600 endpoints (TAC case for this too).  I don't think it's up to the job anymore.  Am I asking too much?

CSCvf21319 is an existing bug on the sorting problem in ISE live sessions. The bug might take another day or two before externally visible.

Please continue working with TAC on the server crash triggered by deleting endpoints.