Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Certificate Status via CLI

Scott Gillies
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am creating a list of precheck CLI commands to perform on an ISE to ensure rlevant info is recorded prior to an engineer making any changes.

Are there any CLI commands I could use that would return the current status of the certificates on an ISE? E.G. their expiry date..

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Please see the information in the guide
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/cli_guide/b_ise_CLIReferenceGuide_24/b_ise_CLIReferenceGuide_24_chapter_00.html

I did a search in the book for certificate and it looks like the needed information is in there

View solution in original post

For system certificates, I would recommend to export each of key and certificate pairs for each ISE nodes via ISE admin web UI for safe keeping. The certificates for the primary ISE admin node are also part of ISE CFG backups but no option to restore only the certificates.

The CLI has no direct option to do what you asked. We could get a list of local certificates in PEM format as part of show tech outputs. Or, you may simply make a cURL or WGET requests to the portals using particular certificates and parse them for validity.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Please see the information in the guide
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/cli_guide/b_ise_CLIReferenceGuide_24/b_ise_CLIReferenceGuide_24_chapter_00.html

I did a search in the book for certificate and it looks like the needed information is in there

Thank you Jason.

Sorry but I would not say this is solved.

I have read the CLI guide which didn't solve my requirement. The only information that I can see is that it will display is the current Certificate Service status or how to Export/Import the current certs.

I was looking for a cli command that would perhaps list the system certs and their expiry dates. Can't imagine that this is beyond the wit of the Cisco coders to add such a command. If I was an engineer with only CLI access, say, I might want such info to troubleshoot a system.

I recon the only way to do such a check is via the GUI unless there are some undocumented CLI commands that would provide the info.

Again thanks.

I don’t believe there are any “undocumented” commands but will double check.

For system certificates, I would recommend to export each of key and certificate pairs for each ISE nodes via ISE admin web UI for safe keeping. The certificates for the primary ISE admin node are also part of ISE CFG backups but no option to restore only the certificates.

The CLI has no direct option to do what you asked. We could get a list of local certificates in PEM format as part of show tech outputs. Or, you may simply make a cURL or WGET requests to the portals using particular certificates and parse them for validity.