Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE guest access controlled by MAC address

osw200051
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Expert,

I have a problem, we have wifi guest and wifi internal network. but i found that many of our internal usage use the guest wifi rather than internal wifi since the internal wifi block some web page.

On this moment, i have our internal user's device Mac address only. Can I control on guest wifi that if the mac address match the list (internal's device list), then this device cannot access the guest network? Can ISE do that?

thanks

4 Replies 4

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Do you have a group containing all your internal hosts mac addresses?

If so, you can duplicate the guest rule internal hosts are hitting above it and add your internal mac addresses group as condition and switch the rule as denied instead of permit.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi Francesco,

Very happy for see your reply that can help me.
Your suggestion can be done on ISE?

Thanks

Yes you can do that on ise.
You need to create at the top a rule saying your mac group containing all your internal hosts + your wlan id = deny.
Instead of wlan id you can also use normalisedradius contains ssidname

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

ajc
Level 7
Level 7

What version are you running?.

I have seen endpoint group value being modified after successful or failed authentication so even though you have the internal MAC addresses in an specific endpoint group, that value could change to Unknown, Blank or Profiled so they would eventually be authenticated using again the Guest SSID because you would not hit the new Authz policy for internal users.

I am assuming you have a guest network with only an AUP page or similar, no authentication. I would suggest you to evaluate modifying that to something like webauth so you can actually control who get access to that SSID.