cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE installation stuck

umahar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am trying to re-image 2.4 on an SNS-3515 by mounting ISO from a local machine.

The image upgrade is getting stuck at the below stage.

We have upgrade the CIMC and BIOS to the latest version.

Verified the md5 too. 

Has anyone run into this issue ?

stuck.png

28 Replies 28

No mather when you are reading this... and which ISE version you are trying to install.. always use the bootable USB installation on SNS servers!!. The difference between installing via USB and via CIMC is HUGE. I installed ISE 3.0 in 15 minutes via USB on one customer, and days before it took 2 hours via CIMC on other customer (directly connected to CIMC port). I will always use bootable USB as the option to install. 

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Are you selecting option 1 for installation, keyboard and mouse? I had a coworker recently have the installation hang at nearly the same point (wait for plymouth boot screen to quit) when he mistakenly selected #2 serial console. You made it past that step so might be unrelated.

Thanks for your responses.

After multiple attempts we were able to finally install ISE.

I chose option 2nd - Keyboard/monitor

i am also stuck in the same place. i am trying to install 2.6. other then multiple attempt, is there anything you did differently to move forward ?

Tried multiple time with 2.7 always stuck around "Anaconda", doesn't matter if it's mapped from network share via CIMC or is it mapped directly from PC over KVM, java, html, keyboard+monitor, console. Everything. Thus I noticed that it works a bit faster when mapping iso over KVM/Java. If you press combination ctrl + alt + f4 (ctrl+alt+f1 brings you back to previous view) it will give you a detailed view what's happening in the background. And it looks like loop, it doesn't boot anaconda which suppose to check if system meets requirement, it doesn't copy necessary files to bring you to setup itself. That's just not what you are expecting to experience when you've got physical appliance and official iso with correct md5 hash mapped via CIMC/KVM. Best of luck installing ISE over network!

Got it sorted out, looks like installation process is really sensitive in terms of latency. Previously used ISO file was mapped from CIMC as CIFS from server away ~20ms. I managed to install 2.7 mapping ISO over https on server away ~0.7ms. Still whole process tooked 4:20h.
Did it on other appliance from workstation away ~1ms but mapped ISO file over HTML KVM menu and it took 2:45h. 
Conclusions: mapping over KVM works much better, if you have that possibility go for it. If your latency is more or equal to 20ms, better find something with lower latency or keep fingers crossed really strong.

Best of luck guys and girls!

You were lucky, the connection from my laptop to the ISE Server was relatively closed and using CIMC/KVM/HTML option it took to me including the patches 6.5 hours to upgrade into 2.7 in total for only 1 x 3595 appliance

Do you know what was your latency? Mine was almost like it would be connected to the same switch. I think that unfortunatelly but ISE installation is very sensitive in terms of latency. I think that even around 5ms could give an effect as you expierienced. 
I have experience also with iLO and iDRAC and installation wasn't so sensitive to latency. I was able to reimage appliances faster and without any issues with latency 15-20-50ms. That's definitely a room for CIMC improvement.

it was 10 ms the latency, i was reimaging an old PSN from 2.2 version into 2.7 version directly using CIMC-KVM-Mount ISO-HTML Option. Due to the previous issues with the java version and CIMC/KVM not running properly, I decided to use the HTML option. I am trying to find out a post where another person experienced the exact same situation of 1 appliance taking around 6 hours (not full deployment upgrade).

Hi @ajc 

you did an upgrade or a fresh install of version 2.7?

If the answer is upgrade, did you use URT and also purge the MnT for a faster upgrade?

If the answer is fresh install, 6,5h is a lot !!!

Hope this helps !!!

usually, I do fresh install and restore config backup.

helped to me as well (it's actually option 2 - Kbd&Mouse

actually it didnt. installation every time ends up with UNABLE TO DETERMINE INSTALLATION DISK.

i'm trying to install 2.2. tried 2.7 & it walked. but i need 2.2 initially because i migrate from 2.1

Andreas Foerby
Level 1
Level 1

I just did a re-image of a 3595 to version 3.0 via KVM and virtual CD/DVD drive. It was stuck at step CARSisePKg1 and CARSisePKg2 for a very long time, but it went through all steps 596/596 after approx. 5 hours - the post installation steps took only about 15 minutes. 

And then it began the "Installing ISE...."