Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE upgrade to 2.3 Repository and License problem

Trying to upgrade from ISE 2.1 to ISE 2.3. Have a few questions that the instructions seem to not cover.

1. Why do I need a repository for an upgrade?

2. The recommended size is in the instructions, but no method is given to specify the size, nor to check the size.

3. What is the method to use the GUI to upload a file into the repository?

4. If there is not a GIU method to upload a file into the repository, then how can I get CLI access?

5. Am I stopped from using CLI if my license is expired? I am stopped from admin access to the CLI for some reason.

6. What is the method of uploading the license if I am stopped from using the CLI. (I may have not found this in the documentation yet)

7. Why should a simple upgrade be made so hard? It is not like I am trying to do something special - just upgrade. Why do the instructions not cover this in detail?

8. Why can I not just take the .tar.gz file of the upgrade and make an ISO and reboot and have it take care of it?

6 Replies 6

paul
Level 10
Level 10

You seemed to be confused on what a repository is in ISE.  You also should already have one defined for backups.  A repository is just an FTP/SFTP server that you control.  Put Filezilla server on your desktop or something.

If you are attempting the upgrade via the GUI you simple tell it what file to load from your repository and what order to convert the nodes in. 

The license doesn't stop you from access in the CLI.  Most likely you forgot to uncheck the disable admin account after 45 days option so the admin account is locked.  You can boot from the .iso and do password recovery.

Found how to boot from the .iso and do password recovery.

1. download an .iso of a ISE - whether the current version or not.

2. hard shutdown of ISE - front on-off - light goes amber.

3. restart using on-off button - light goes green.

4. wait for 1&2 Install option. and 3&4 Utilities options

5. choose 3.

6. Select password reset.

Thank you for that direction to go.

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here is a doc detailing how to use CLI to create a repository and place a file into it.

Upgrading to Identity Services Engine 2.1 in a Distributed Environment

This doc does not cover GUI-based upgrades

Apparently you cannot do a complete upgrade from the GUI.

Although they do say to make the repository from the GUI (for if you have multiple ISEs)

Thank you for the link to the procedure.

That seems to be the procedure I was looking for.

You should be able to do the upgrade from the GUI. I just prefer doing it manually.

Paul Haferman

Office- 920.996.3011

Cell- 920.284.9250

I believe there is only one step that I cannot do from the GUI - put the .tar.gz file into the repository.

Thank you for your phone number in case I need more help.