Views
Helpful
Replies

Linux EAP-TLS Authentication

paul
Level 10
Level 10

All,

I am trying to get EAP-TLS working on an Ubuntu Linux machine.  The system is controlled by Centrify and Centrify has pushed out a certificate, private key and chain file to the machine.  I am attempting to use the wpa_supplicant with the following configuration:

Capture.JPG.png

When we run the following command:

sudo -i wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D wired -i eno1

We see the following sequence of messages repeated.  I am trying to validate that the private key doesn't have a password.  I am also going to try with key_mgmt set to WPA-EAP.  I can see the request come into ISE but ISE is recording the client is rejecting the authentication protocol which maybe the WPA-EAP will fix.  Has anyone gotten wpa_supplicant to work correctly?

Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
eno1: Associated with 01:80:c2:00:00:03
WMM AC: Missing IEs
eno1: CTRL-EVENT-SUBNET-STATUS-UPDATE status=0
eno1: CTRL-EVENT-EAP-STARTED EAP authentication started
eno1: CTRL-EVENT-EAP-PROPOSED-METHOD vendor=0 method=13
OpenSSL: tls_connection_ca_cert - Failed to load root certificates error:0B084088:x509 certificate routines:X509_load_cert_crl_file:no certificate or crl found
OpenSSL: tls_load_ca_der - Failed load CA in DER format error:0D0680A8:asn1 encoding routines:asn1_check_tlen:wrong tag
OpenSSL: pending error: error:0D07803A:asn1 encoding routines:asn1_item_embed_d2i:nested asn1 error
OpenSSL: pending error: error:0B06F00D:x509 certificate routines:X509_load_cert_file:ASN1 lib
TLS: Failed to set TLS connection parameters
EAP-TLS: Failed to initialize SSL.
eno1: EAP: Failed to initialize EAP method: vendor 0 method 13 (TLS)
eno1: CTRL-EVENT-EAP-FAILURE EAP authentication failed
eno1: CTRL-EVENT-EAP-STARTED EAP authentication started
eno1: CTRL-EVENT-EAP-PROPOSED-METHOD vendor=0 method=13
OpenSSL: tls_connection_ca_cert - Failed to load root certificates error:0B084088:x509 certificate routines:X509_load_cert_crl_file:no certificate or crl found
OpenSSL: tls_load_ca_der - Failed load CA in DER format error:0D0680A8:asn1 encoding routines:asn1_check_tlen:wrong tag
OpenSSL: pending error: error:0D07803A:asn1 encoding routines:asn1_item_embed_d2i:nested asn1 error
OpenSSL: pending error: error:0B06F00D:x509 certificate routines:X509_load_cert_file:ASN1 lib
TLS: Failed to set TLS connection parameters
EAP-TLS: Failed to initialize SSL.

3 Replies 3

Greg Gibbs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have successfully setup an Ubuntu machine to use EAP-TLS, but only from the x-windows UI. The UI requires you to specify the password used for the private key, so I suspect this is not optional. The procedure I used to set this up:

• Used openssl to generate the private key and CSR; specified the optional password
  • Signed the CSR using my Windows ADCS and saved both the DER-formatted identity and Root CA certs to my ubuntu machine
  • Opened the Network tool (I believe provided by the NetworkManager package) and configured the required settings

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 10.21.43 am.png

Hi Greg.

Could you share the process to generate the user certificate and private key on linux?

fernandoaguiar_0-1711736111961.png

Here is my configuration, but I think I did something wrong during the process to generate the user certificate and key.

Could you please clarify the steps?

Thanks

I used openssl to create an RSA key and CSR using a similar process as the following document. You need to ensure that you define a passphrase for private key.

https://www.ssl.com/how-to/manually-generate-a-certificate-signing-request-csr-using-openssl/