cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP failed. APIPA is being used.

Vecta
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. While I was doing my homework I encountered this problem. I already reviewed the solutions that was asked before but I must be getting something wrong. In subnet A my PC gets a dhcp IP Adress but none of the PCs in subnet B doesnt get an address and I get the "DHCP failed. APIPA is being used." error. Can someone point to my mistake please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Vecta 

There are some problems here. 

Side A:

Your router has Ip address 192.168.3.1 but you server has Ip add 192.168.4.2. This is wrong. As they belong to the same segment, they must be on the same network. Either you change the router to 192.168.4.x or you change the server to 192.168.3.x. 

The hosts (Server and PC) needs to be on the same netweork as routers, as the router is the gateway. 

Then, you have the site B. There is nothing wrong with Site B but as the router has interface 192.168.1.1, as discussed above, all thoses PC on B side has to have IP address on the network 192.168.1.x.

Which means, you need to create a second DHCP scope on the DHCP server providing IP address on the network 192.168.1.x. 

I hope I was clear, If I were not, let me know. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi @Vecta 

There are some problems here. 

Side A:

Your router has Ip address 192.168.3.1 but you server has Ip add 192.168.4.2. This is wrong. As they belong to the same segment, they must be on the same network. Either you change the router to 192.168.4.x or you change the server to 192.168.3.x. 

The hosts (Server and PC) needs to be on the same netweork as routers, as the router is the gateway. 

Then, you have the site B. There is nothing wrong with Site B but as the router has interface 192.168.1.1, as discussed above, all thoses PC on B side has to have IP address on the network 192.168.1.x.

Which means, you need to create a second DHCP scope on the DHCP server providing IP address on the network 192.168.1.x. 

I hope I was clear, If I were not, let me know. 

Thank you for crazy fast response. Thanks to you I corrected my assignment. I will drop the solved file just in case someone else wants to check it out. I was working on this for almos a hour now. I can even ping the other subnet's computer. Thank you very much, it really helped!

Good to know. Let me drop mine also.