cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GETVPN Key Server

Hamada Ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to have a Router acting as Group Member and Key Server at same time?

Which means that HUB Router (HQ) can be HUB and key server in same time?

or better to have independent key server router?    

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per CVD, they are should be separated all time each one does a different role.

The key server has two responsibilities: servicing registration requests and sending rekeys. A group member can register at any time and receive the most current policy and keys. When a group member registers with the key server, the key server verifies the group ID that the group member is attempting to join. If this ID is a valid group ID, the key server sends the SA policy to the group member. After the group member acknowledges that it can handle the downloaded policy, the key server downloads the respective keys.

you can find a good deployment guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Aug2014/CVD-GETVPNDesignGuide-AUG14.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello ,

I do not think that is possible, since the key server does not use and install the IPSec SA. only the group members do.

fdgljlgk.pngKey Server for GETVPN 
hub for what ? 
I remember your last post, the 4000 vpn and so you thing with tunnel-less VPN which is GETVPN. 

DMVPN vs GETVPN 
DMVPN can use if the Spoke know Hub IP and Hub learn all Spoke IP, DMVPN use mGRE which mean use multi GRE tunnel with single one tunnel config.
GETVPN use for only security. 

also you can check the flexVPN which give you DVTI and SVTI, DVTI single tunnel in Hub can connect as many as your all Site SVTI.

Hamada Ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

I just want confirmation if Key server router can be implemented on GM Router Which is in HQ  , or KS should be independent?

fdlgjdfl.pngKS must be router in HQ, 
All GM must have reached the KS but they don't need to reach each other. 

You can  can not mix as we mentioned already, they are different roles.  they need to be independent?

Note : Type issue corrected and edited

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hamada Ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

my question is here because , looking for reducing Hardware

Hub router will be in DC and all branches will connect to it,

So I am looking to deploy KS in Hub router instead of deploying independent KS router to save cost.