cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a standard for making SVI and VLANs on WLC9800?

OliverDurston
Level 1
Level 1

What is the criteria to create SVI and VLANs in the 9800.  If you take multiple AP management bands (vlan) to the same network  Do I have to need several SVI and/or Vlans?

3 Replies 3

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@OliverDurston 

This depends of the setup, however you must have one SVI for managenent (if not using the mgmt). The remain SVI will depend of the Design but they are no mandatory.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Hello,

I agree with @Ruben Cocheno, keep the management Vlan separate, for security reasons. Basically, for AP-related Vlans, pretty much the same criteria apply as for 'regular' wired Vlans. Do you want/need to separate traffic according to functional or departmental groups ? That is basically the use case for Vlans, wired or wireless...

"Basically, for AP-related Vlans, pretty much the same criteria apply as for 'regular' wired Vlans."

One difference, you can often use a larger subnet on wireless.  However usually only useful on non independent APs, i.e. LWAPs.