cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

loopback for traffic measurement

mangsto32
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to measure a link speed I have a traffic generator machine.
I want my Cisco ASR-1001 to loopback the traffic to the generator,
What config do I need to use?
I am trying to do it in Layer 3 and there is a switch in between.

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Possibly, if still supported, the echo service, see https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-software-releases-110/12815-23.html

Unsure how much bandwidth your ASR might support.  Might be much, much less than its routing forwarding capacity.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

But I can't understand this document.

when I loop back traffic with my Cisco ASR-920, I use this commands:

ip sla 1
service-performance type ip dest-ip-addr (x.x.x.x) interface TenGigabitEthernet(x/x/x) service instance 1
frequency iteration 1 delay 1
loopback direction internal
profile packet
source-ip-addr (x.x.x.x)
packet-size 1518
outer-vlan (x)
duration time 1000
ip sla schedule 1 start-time now

And this commands doesn't work on the Cisco ASR-1001.

Are there any commands that you know that can loop back my traffic to the traffic generator?

Hello,

I somewhere seem to recall that the ASR-1001 does not support the 'service-performance' type SLA. I think you have to configure an 'ip sla responder' instead.

Ah, I mistook your traffic generator was an external app and you were just looking to bounce traffic off your ASR.

If you're using SLA, suggest you consult the SLA documentation for the IOS versions being used.

Hello,

are you looking for something like Netflow ?

I am not quite familiar with Netflow, But I will check that.

let me explain again:

My traffic generator can analyze the traffic what I need is the asr-1001 to send the traffic back to my generator.

I am looking for some kind of a loop that I can configure that tells the ASR-1001 to send the traffic back to the generator.

Netflow can't execute this function,

I tried the IP sla responder but same result.

A SLA responder, I recall, for many of its functions, requires a SLA generator partner.  I also recall (?) some SLA implementations offered a throughput test.

Could you clarify/provide the particulars specifics for your environment?

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have a traffic generator it's a machine that can send traffic to any destination that I will choose(with IP).

And it is connected to a switch that only tags vlan on each side,

and on the other side of the switch, I have an ASR.

Now when I put ASR-920 I was able to send the traffic back to the traffic generator, it's a p2p link through the switch.

I use the IP SLA commands that I shared above, and now I am trying to send back the traffic with the ASR-1001.

My main goal is to send back traffic(loopback) to the traffic generator so he can analyze it.