Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Architecture

Ram253
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I'm novice to networking. And below is the requirement I'm trying to figure out. Any leads would be greatly appreciated

"You are working as an IT architect for a new startup business that grew faster than expected. they expanded to operate in 4 different states with 2 Data Centers. they need an overhaul of their systems/networks:'

Build/Secure/Protect the company Internal network ( Servers/Clients ) and ensuring that only devices owned by the company can connect to the internal network. This network should not be a flat network.

Secure/Protect the company Wireless Network.

Secure/Protect the company Web/Email/SFTP/DNS/Database servers from internal and external attacks.

They need to have 3 applications to be placed in the cloud. You were asked to make sure that is securely built and connects back to the network. They left the selection of which cloud provider to use. 

They need to implement a solution to allow the employees to connect to the network remotely. 

You need to write a paper explaining how you can make these requirements successful. Also, you need to draw the interconnections between your systems."
5 Replies 5

Hello,

interesting project. I would start out by using a free tool such as Packet Tracer (https://www.netacad.com/courses/packet-tracer), which lets you draw and design networks according to your requirements...

Ram253
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,
I'm still trying to figure out this. Any leads would be really appreciated!

Hello,

I guess you do not get many replies because it is not really clear what you need help with. 'Leads' mean what exactly ? 

Well, what I'm trying to figure out is why a "novice" is working on a project described for an IT Architect.

Possibly the only "novice" part of the project would be the internal network "This network should not be a flat network.", but conversely, that's almost a given for a network the size and physical topology as described.

Some of the requirements could be very involved, but specifics are undefined.  For example "Secure/Protect the company Wireless Network." actually requires?  Possibly, this just means authorized wireless connections but maybe even things like negating rogue APs.  Further, there's a lot more that goes hand-in-hand with wireless having nothing, per se, dealing with security or protection but how well the wireless environment works and what standards it supports, etc.

So, for a real lead, you would need to first nail down all the actual requirements.  Heck, we "know" the business operates in 4 states and there are two DCs, but how many locations, how many hosts at each location, kinds of hosts at the locations, bandwidth requirements, etc.

Remote users how many, kind of media available to them, etc.?

Again, though, just don't see how a "novice" can even begin to write up a paper on this, so rather difficult to direct you.

See, the situation is somewhat like saying "I'm a novice auto mechanic" but I have project to architect an automobile with the following requirements such as it must get 40 mpg, can do 0 to 60 in 6 seconds, can . . ., can . . ., and must not use non-radial tires.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but, to me, that's how your OP comes across (unintentionally, I'm sure), so for an automobile, how should we answer?  Can you now see this as a possible reason for the lack of responses?

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

The problem statement given to you ("You are working as an IT architect for a new startup business that grew faster than expected...") sounds like an academic exercise; is this an assignment for some class?  If not, and this is a real work situation, you and your employer will be best served by engaging with a reputable managed-service provider that you can outsource this network expansion to. Such a managed-service provider can provide a turn-key solution by engineering, furnishing, installing, and operating the network. Your function would be to compile the business and technical requirements necessary for the SP to EF&I the network, and then monitor the SP's performance against a Service Level Agreement that you would contract with the SP. Without knowing your geographic location, little guidance can be provided with regards to identifying potential SP candidates to solicit proposals from.

On the other hand, if this is a class assignment, a little more background for this forum might be useful to provide you with leads to explore (undergrad class? grad school? depth of technical details required in the paper? length of paper? etc).

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO