cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7k7 - How to SNMP context with four VRFs?

Sven Hruza
Level 4
Level 4

Dear all,

I have some Nexus 7700 devices and on each Nexus we have configured the default VRF with some VLAN interfaces and also four other VRFs with VLAN interfaces.

Per default I see only the interfaces of the default VRF in my SNMP management tool.

Also the ARP table can only be polled from the default VRF.

Now I want to poll also the interfaces in the other VRFs.

But with the snmp-server context configuration I found in some deployment guides I can only configure a context for one single VRF and not for all.

Is it possible to create a context containing all my VRFs to get all interfaces of the Nexus switch?

At first I try this with SNMPv2, but in future I want to use SNMPv3.

Thank you very much!

Sven

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Although not a direct answer, this may provide hints :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/network-management/how-to-snmp-to-get-nexus-7k-non-default-vrf-arp-table/m-p/2346419#M97657

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you, but this configuration is only working with one single VRF and context.

If I try to configure more VRFs to the same context, it is overwritten.

And it is also not possible to map more than one context to the same community.

I'm looking for the same answer.  I do not want to configure a unique SNMP string for each context.

I don't have an answer for SNMPv2.

But for SNMPv3 I think I figured out a solution together with my support partner.

Configure for each VRF a context:

snmp-server context <context-1-name> vrf <vrf-1-name>
snmp-server context <context-2-name> vrf <vrf-2-name>

snmp-server context <context-3-name> vrf <vrf-3-name>

With the CISCO-CONTEXT-MAPPING-MIB you can read the configured contexts.

The OID should be .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.468.1.1.1.2

These values you can use in another SNMPv3 walk with the option -N <context-1-name> to get things like IP interfaces, ARP table or something like that.

snmpwalk -v 3 -v3u <username> -a SHA -A <auth-password> -x <ENCRYPT> -X <encrypt-password> -N <context-1-name> <IP-address><OID>

For me it worked the best way to set the names of the contexts the same like the VRF names to make it a little bit transparent for the guys responsible for our inventory database.