Aldo Insfran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

During the installation of the LMS-4.2,

It passed the "Initializing" and "Copying" stages,

but, in the "Configuring", it never finishes,

Anyone had have a similar problem?

the installer is for - LMS-4.2 and the OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the update. Glad to know it has installed now.

There can be some port clashes and resource scarcity when other applications may be using it. Hence we recommend to have majorly LMS as the primary software on the server's.

Also, LMS is not supported in other languages installers or setups except English and Japanese.

There are a couple more things you can do/check prior to running the installation.

LMS generally need Naming convention to handle long names/path etc. By default C: has 8.3 Naming convention enabled. However if you installed on different drive (for eg E:), for which this may be disabled.

To check naming convention you can run the following command from Windows Command prompt: 
                                   cmd>fsutil.exe 8dot3name query <Drive>
---------------------------------------
Example:
C:\Users\winlau>fsutil 8dot3name query C:
The volume state for Disable8dot3 is 0 (8dot3 name creation is enabled).
The registry state of NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation is 2, the default (Volume level setting).
Based on the above two settings, 8dot3 name creation is enabled on C:.

8dot3 needs to be enabled for all drives LMS will potentially use, including:
Drive where TEMP/TMP is located
The drive LMS is installed to
The drive LMS backs up to
Drive used for a relocated RME Shadow directory or other nonstandard paths written to.

In some cases, altering the TEMP and TMP variables to be a short path (eg C:/temp or C:/tmp) may avoid the issue, but not always.

Hence, to be safe, it is best to enable 8dot3name creation globally, either via the registry or Windows CLI

Sample command to enable globally:
  "fsutil 8dot3name set 0"     

Sample command to enable on one volume:
  "fsutil 8dot3name set X: 0"  

Note that this needs a reboot to take effect.  You should not disable 8dot3name creation which already has it enabled, especially the system volume (usually C:). 

For further information  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778996%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE them**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have to give installation the time it is taking. Their are circumstance which can add to delay.

I hope you followed the Tips for Windows server installtion as per:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/33926/tips-successful-installation-lms-windows

You can check the install log located in C:\ drive, where the current install process is stuck. Try to locate the installer exe processes in task manager and do right click to set priority > high.

-Thanks

Vinod 

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them**

Hi Vinod,

I did give the installation process its time, but It was too much, It started last friday, and still there monday morning. So I think it definitely wasnt a matter of time... I followed all the tips given in that discussion...

Now, I have the problems solved, what I did was, to use another windows installer; the first one was in spanish, and now I'm using another in english,

There was also a symantec aplication (it wasnt an anti-virus) installed in the first installation but stopped. This time I did the LMS installation first and then the symantec app.

I dont know which was the reason of the problem,

Thank you for your answer Vinod!

Thanks for the update. Glad to know it has installed now.

There can be some port clashes and resource scarcity when other applications may be using it. Hence we recommend to have majorly LMS as the primary software on the server's.

Also, LMS is not supported in other languages installers or setups except English and Japanese.

There are a couple more things you can do/check prior to running the installation.

LMS generally need Naming convention to handle long names/path etc. By default C: has 8.3 Naming convention enabled. However if you installed on different drive (for eg E:), for which this may be disabled.

To check naming convention you can run the following command from Windows Command prompt: 
                                   cmd>fsutil.exe 8dot3name query <Drive>
Example:
C:\Users\winlau>fsutil 8dot3name query C:
The volume state for Disable8dot3 is 0 (8dot3 name creation is enabled).
The registry state of NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation is 2, the default (Volume level setting).
Based on the above two settings, 8dot3 name creation is enabled on C:.

8dot3 needs to be enabled for all drives LMS will potentially use, including:
Drive where TEMP/TMP is located
The drive LMS is installed to
The drive LMS backs up to
Drive used for a relocated RME Shadow directory or other nonstandard paths written to.

In some cases, altering the TEMP and TMP variables to be a short path (eg C:/temp or C:/tmp) may avoid the issue, but not always.

Hence, to be safe, it is best to enable 8dot3name creation globally, either via the registry or Windows CLI

Sample command to enable globally:
  "fsutil 8dot3name set 0"     

Sample command to enable on one volume:
  "fsutil 8dot3name set X: 0"  

Note that this needs a reboot to take effect.  You should not disable 8dot3name creation which already has it enabled, especially the system volume (usually C:). 

For further information  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778996%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE them**

Great Advice Vinod,

I'll take this into account...

Thanks for all...