cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Restrict access to APIC-EM :443 ?

dmr
Level 4
Level 4

Using APIC-EM solely for PnP function to configure new devices, and I have been given a requirement to restrict access to the APIC-EM GUI to specific IPs.  I really don't want to have to put it behind an internal firewall.

I can't see a way in the Web GUI to restrict access (understandable, this is likely uncommon - probably just me).

BUT, from the CLI I can see that the Linux VM implements iptables.... so I am wondering if I could safely add source restrictions on :443 to restrict access to the web GUI?  I realize I need to permit the target PnP subnets also .. this is a rather contained implementation doing PnP configs in a staging area only, not network-wide, but the APIC-EM is in a datacenter elsewhere.  I also understand that future APIC-EM upgrades may change/replace iptables and I'd need to revisit after upgrades, but is this something possible and worth pursuing?  Thoughts?

Thanks folks, --David

image.png

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

For the reason that you mention; having to redo the tweak after each update, I wouldn't go down the path of editing iptables on the VM. I did something similar with the hosts file on a Prime install which turned into a real pain after each update!

Why not just add an OUTbound ACL to the SVI which is connected to the subnet which APIC-EM resides on?

permit tcp <pnp_subnets> <pnp_netmasks> host <apic-em_ip> eq 443
deny ip any host <apic-em_ip>

cheers,

Seb.

Thank you for the reply and sharing your experience with similar situation under Prime.... was afraid of that; nice to have confirmation that it could indeed pose issues.

Unfortunately, adding an ACL in the environment I am working in may be nearly as difficult as a firewall solution !

Regards, --dmr

@Seb Rupik wrote:

Hi there,

For the reason that you mention; having to redo the tweak after each update, I wouldn't go down the path of editing iptables on the VM. I did something similar with the hosts file on a Prime install which turned into a real pain after each update!

Why not just add an OUTbound ACL to the SVI which is connected to the subnet which APIC-EM resides on?

permit tcp <pnp_subnets> <pnp_netmasks> host <apic-em_ip> eq 443
deny ip any host <apic-em_ip>

cheers,

Seb.