Views
Helpful
Replies

Acoustic noise Cisco ASA 5508-X?

Boudewijn Plomp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to buy a Cisco ASA 5506-X or 5508-X for my home lab. The only thing is I have a 500/500Mbps internet connection. The 5506-X does not seem to have enough power to handle that much bandwidth under certain load. So that's why I am looking for a 5508-X. But unfortunately it has a built-in fan, which I do not like at all.

Looking at the data sheet it mentions "41.6 A-weighted decibels (dBA) type" and "67.2 dBA max". The only thing is, how can I compare the new A-weighted decibels to the normal dB standard? I have experience with a ASA 5512-X and 5515-X, and they are very noisy.

Can somebody tell from experience if the ASA 5508-X is noisy or quit? An how does the fan speed throttle, often?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I can't directly compare them as I've setup these devices in different environments. The only thing I can tell is that I wouldn't want a 5508-X running in my house if the device is not in a separate room.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

I can't directly compare them as I've setup these devices in different environments. The only thing I can tell is that I wouldn't want a 5508-X running in my house if the device is not in a separate room.

That is what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card