Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5516 traffic shaping

Tibor M
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

could somebody help me and tell me if is possible to configure ASA 5516 (just ASA, not firepower, we have firepower shutdown) traffic shaping in way that each user can use maximum of 80% of uplink speed for downloads (in case of single download) and if more users users downloading so sum of all downloads speeds again max 90% of uplink speed? and if possible put here some example please?

We never faced the issue, but now we facing problems that single user can drop whole 200/200mbps uplink, so I want to ensure that even if anybody start download, there will be still some reserve for other users especially on VPN. Not sure why, but it looks when anybody downloads large files, ASA start dropping other users.

We currently do not have any QoS configured on our Nexus and Catalyst switches as we are worried it could break much more than help, especially our NFS datastores. That's why I look for traffic shaping. Also as we have Firepower turned off, we do not know if it could help us with shaping, we want rather native ASA OS config.

Thank

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In General, personally do not use FW to do this task, but if this is your requirement, you need to apply and test (always Monitor outcome) - QoS requirement some monitor and tweaks based on the outcome day today (until it gets stable and working).

A good example  as below :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/82310-qos-voip-vpn.html

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-security/traffic-shaping-and-rate-limit-in-asa-firewall/td-p/2933362

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

thanks for links. where will be the best place to do? whole network and implement full qos on each switch? we have 2 nexus core switches in HSRP+VPC and there are connected access switches with 2x1gbps (each link to one nexus PO)

may be worth post your network diagram how it look like to suggesdt best. do you have one ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Sure, here it is - easy high level version. there are no special things, no dynamic routing, nothing more than VPC, HSRP, static routing.

network_topology_high_level_easy_diagram.png

@balaji.bandi Any thoughts?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card