Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5585 IPS module

lu2nqini1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, 

I have a client who has the ASA-SSP-IPS40-K9= module installed on the 5585. Its now complaining  that the license is expired. 

The module is eol and I cannot find which license the module is requiring.

Please find attached show version output. 

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The classic IPS modules (like this one) and appliances are licensed based on service contract attachment and don't use a PAK or separate license ordering SKU.

If they had renewed support last April they would have been able to get one more year of signature updates before the product is completely end of support in April 2018.

At this point no new support can be purchased. They should be considering migration options to current generation products.

Hi Marvin, Thank you for the response. 

The customer bought a three year smartnet last year, they covered till 2020. 

Any idea what would cause the error on the screenshot; license expired.

TAC response below:

The Smartnet does not cover the IPS license renewal.

When the license expired, it should be renewed separately to the renewal of smartnet which covers the appliance.

Which license are they referring to?

Thank you in advance.

Sorry - I misspoke earlier. The hardware IPS module on the 5585-X did use a separate license part number.

I can't find any old document right now that has the exact part number but, as I mentioned earlier, it is a moot point as these have not been sold for several years now. You cannot buy or renew an IPS subscription for that module - either from Cisco or from any authorized reseller.

Thanks a lot Marvin for the assistance.

I'm with you that its eos and migration is probably the best thing going forward.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card