cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower and Firesight licensing

David Niemann
Level 3
Level 3

I bought a 5506X with full services, Protection, Control, Malware and URL filtering.  I had opened a TAC case for troubleshooting some issues I was having with policy applications.  The TAC engineer suggested I use Firesight to manage the ASA (v9.5.2) instead of the ASDM (v7.5.2).  I'm running Firepower v6.0.0-1005.  The TAC engineer gave me eval licenses to put on FireSIGHT.  It was my understanding that I could rehome the licenses for the 5506X to FireSIGHT.  He indicated that I should have the right to run FireSIGHT with my 5506X with the full services that I bought.  The eval licenses on FireSIGHT have expired and now it won't apply any of the rules because it says the subscription has expired.  Are we required to have licenses for the 5506X as well as additional licensing for FireSIGHT?  While the eval licenses expired, the licenses on my 5506X don't expire until June.

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can do basic management of Firepower through the ASDM on the ASA 5506.

Firesight is a separate product that usually runs in VMWare, and requires a separate licence.

I figured out how to rehome my licenses on Firesight and then have them be applied to the 5506X.  I found another post regarding only copying the encrypted portion of the license and that worked.  Previously I was copying the entire license.  I was able to rehome the licenses to Firesight and then use them for managing the ASA.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card