cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Increase Cisco FTD and FMC Default Disk size in VMware Workstation.

whizkidraj
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

So as we deploy (add) the Cisco FTD and FMC in VMware Workstation with the .ovf file, the default disk size is very less and since we can thin provision, how can I increase this size to 2 TB.

Also, once I upgrade my Cisco FTD or FMC, does the upgrade process also cleans (deletes) the old version files automatically i.e. is anything needed to be done after the upgrade to clean the old version and any other junk files,
and if yes then which files and under what directory can I safely delete such or other files to keep the disk space clean and not being wasted from old version files or any other junk files / unneeded files.

22 Replies 22

You can make the disk larger during installation (not after), but it won't enable storage of more events in FMC's database tables.

It will increase space available for system files, log files etc.

Thanks Marvin.  

So... that's a way around the space issues we're hitting with the geolocation data? Fresh deploy to a bigger disk, then backup/restore the FMC to the new deployment?

Hi Marvin, I came across this bug but also there is a "defect" related to resizing the vFMC disk: CSCwf93791. The last time I deployed the ovf, it didn't allow me to modify the disk size and used forcefully thick provisioning. How did you manage to change the disk size during the installation? Did you use the ovf template? Thanks as always for your generous help!

At the moment... no.
I was told by TAC that there may be something coming in 7.4.1?

Yes there is a way, I have done it by increasing virtual machine disk by 100GB, then boot up from growpart live cd, resize partition /dev/sda7, and then proceeded with an vFMC update from 7.0.1 to 7.2.4 without errors. 

ForTheHorde
Level 1
Level 1

I have also done the sae thing using parted and resize2fs.

p.lan
Level 1
Level 1

Likewise. Can confirm, adding 100GB to the FMC from VMware, then booting the Gparted Live CD worked. Grew sda3 (the extended FS) then grew sda7, committed. Detached gparted and booted FMC with the new free space-- recognized in FMC from running "df -h" via expert mode. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card