cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Self Zone

clevelandwpc
Level 1
Level 1

I just came into configuration of Zone based firewall. There is a built-in Self Zone when you configures the zones on the firewall. My questions is: What is the Self Zone? What is the purpose of having Self zone in the Cisco IOS Router for zone based firewall configration? Thanks for your help.

K

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Here it is:

" The self zone is zone created by default by the router. It has a permit policy by default, and it used to manage traffic directed to or generated by the router, not traffic that just travels through it.

If you wanted to apply firewall rules to traffic directed to the router itself, you'd have to make a zone pair of the self zone and the zone the traffic is coming from, and apply a policy to the pair."

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,

Here it is:

" The self zone is zone created by default by the router. It has a permit policy by default, and it used to manage traffic directed to or generated by the router, not traffic that just travels through it.

If you wanted to apply firewall rules to traffic directed to the router itself, you'd have to make a zone pair of the self zone and the zone the traffic is coming from, and apply a policy to the pair."

Thanks for your message.

Thanks for rating and changing the status to solved. This helps make this forum better.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card