cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNORT3 Breaks Large File Downloads

ida71
Level 1
Level 1

A web based product allows users to create a large ZIP file & when its ready it mails them a link to retrieve it. Works great under Snort2. But I recently upgraded a set of FTD's to v7.2.5 + HotFix & Snort3, as per Cisco's current GoldStar version & recommendation that Snort2 will be retired soon.  Everything worked great in our post upgrade testing. But a couple of days later a customer complained that their large downloads kept failing. We were able to replicate this consistently, but it did not appear to be a fix file size problem, as some 400Mb files would fail & some 1Gb+ files would get near completion before failing. Nothing appeared blocked in event logs & no Snort warnings. After various attempts to diagnose this, I reverted Snort to v2 & everything worked as expected.

Any ideas ?  Unfortunately that was the only location with Snort3 so I'm currently unable to replicate the error. We did try some straight forward up/downloads direct to a server & they worked fine. So I suspect its something the web based application is doing that makes Snort cut it off, but I'm not seeing any log events for it.

Thanks for any input on this.

3 Replies 3

Did you look in the connection event logs?  I have seen in many instances where traffic being marked as elephant flow is dropped.  However, you will not see it marked as an Elephant flow unless you have enabled Elephant flow detection.  You can edit the ACP and go to the Advanced tab and enable Elephant flow detection, and if you have any FTD other than FTD2100 (Elephant flow remediation is not supported on FTD2100) you can also enable remediation where the traffic that is detected as Elephant flow will bypass SNORT if certain criteria are met. 

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

ida71
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Marius,  I'll have a look at those suggestions. Connection events did not show anything dropped & nothing in syslog either. I'll arrange some testing OoO to see if I can see the issue.

ida71
Level 1
Level 1

So a quick review of the ACP shows Elephant Flow detection is enabled, but no log events matching that criteria. That said the page says it does NOT apply to Encrypted traffic. See your h t t p s ://"Your FMC" help_files/index.html#!t_configuring-elephant-flow.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card