Helpful
Replies

SSH Terrapin Prefix Truncation Weakness

dacruzer1
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day All,

I found a vulnerability on my 4321 router regarding this:

"The remote SSH server is vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle prefix truncation weakness known as Terrapin. This can allow a remote, man-in-the-middle attacker to bypass integrity checks and downgrade the connection's security."

Anyone information on how to resolve this is greatly appreciated.

-Alfred

25 Replies 25

Hi @mmsabaeai ,

I am currently going to apply this fix and wanted to make sure the fix is already applied.

1. Do you have a command to run to verify if the fix already was applied?

2. Does this require a server reboot or will this cause impact traffic? 

3. I believe this fix is applicable for Cisco Nexus 9300?

Thank you,

John

>3. I believe this fix is applicable for Cisco Nexus 9300?

For Nexus 9300, NX-OS, the fix will be different for modifying the SSH daemon CipherSuites. ~BAS

If you are still able to ssh to the device after adding that command then that is the correct way.  I used Nessus scanner to identify vulnerabilities on my network device that how I was able to detect this vulnerability.  hth

Hi,

I there a way to run a command to check if the fix was is already working? I dont have access on the customer physical location and just doing it remotely and losing ssh will be a problem for me. It is the customer who do the nessus scan.

Thank you,
John

> Is there a way to run a command to check if the ..

IOS (and IOS-XE?)# show ip ssh

Cat9K ( NX-OS ) # show ssh server

(it should print the acceptable KEX Key Exchange, MACs, and encryption CipherSuites)

seklecki_0-1707461303534.png

johntug
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I tried to check the command but it seems (ip ssh server algorithm encryption) is not available on my Nexus Cisco Nexus9000.

I tried to tab below command nothing shows.

(config)# ip ssh ser

Thank you,

John

seklecki
Level 1
Level 1

Terrapin  CVE-2023-48795

Related to the the following Nessus plugins: 153953, 187315

https://www.tenable.com/plugins/nessus/187315
https://www.tenable.com/plugins/nessus/153953

For Traditional IOS (this thread was originally about IOS-XE) version 15.2(8)+ on the Industries/IOT ( IE-Series ) switches, I've validated the following change with Nessus while maintaining compatibility with PuTTY v0.79 and v0.80:

IOS-Traditional (config)# ip ssh server algorithm encryption aes256-ctr
IOS-Traditional (config)# ip ssh server kex ecdh-sha2-nistp521
IOS-Traditional (config)# ip ssh server mac hmac-sha2-256 hmac-sha2-512

Those commands don't work on Nexus devices. Has anyone found the command to remediate this vuln on nexus devices?

chetanyp1995
Level 1
Level 1

I am using Nexus N9K C93180YC-FX and running version is 10.2.5

It has been reported that the switch is having CVE-2023-48795. Is this applicable to nexus? and if Yes then what is the work around strictly for Nexus. Currently SSH version 2 is enabled.

Thanks in advanced

I'm not sure if you've figured this out yet or not, but we have so I wanted to share.

You'll have to use vi to remove the algorithm from the dcos_sshd_config file.

1. Enable bash shell feature - #feature bash-shell

2. Connect to bash shell - #run bash sudo su

3. Change directory to /isan/etc - cd /isan/etc

4. cat dcos_sshd_config

5. Make a backup copy of the file on the bootflash before editing so you can restore it if something goes wrong - cp dcos_sshd_config /bootflash/dcos_sshd_config_backup

6. Open the dcos_sshd_config file and remove the unwanted MAC ciphers - vi dcos_sshd_config

7. move to the line which you want to delete (chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com)

8. Press "x" to delete the characters.

9. ESC then :wq!

10. cat /isan/etc/dcos_sshd_config file will shows chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com cipher is no longer present.

ashishkumar26
Level 1
Level 1

We have received SSH Terrapin Prefix Truncation Weakness (CVE-2023-48795) vulnerability on AIR-CT5508-K9 IOS version AireOS 8.5.140.0. This vulnerability is associated with bug CSCwi61646. Please advise if we can ignore this vulnerability as on below link it says workaround is Not Available or Not Applicable. Or kindly suggest for the FIX.

https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwi61646?rfs=qvlogin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card