Views
Helpful
Replies

Verify Integrity of Flash Memory.

jokerfmj1
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I've been having an issue trying to upgrade one of my ASA 5520's to 9.1(7).16. I have successfully done this on a different ASA 5520, but I have attempted this particular device twice and it has been stuck in a boot loop both times.

My thought is that the Flash memory could have some bad sectors in it and the new image file just happens to be utilizing those sectors when I upload the image file to it. I have run the "verify" command and it comes back as a good check.

Is there any way I can check the integrity of the flash memory and maybe even lock out any bad sectors (similar to a checkdisk)?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"fsck flash:" is the command that you would want to run. A whole document on troubleshooting flash issues on the ASA is provided below, including the fsck command:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/113266-asa-flash-error-ts.html#runfsck

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"fsck flash:" is the command that you would want to run. A whole document on troubleshooting flash issues on the ASA is provided below, including the fsck command:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/113266-asa-flash-error-ts.html#runfsck

Thanks, Rahul, that is outstanding.

This is a production device -- Would you recommend only running this command during a maintenance window, or should running this command be transparent to the operational functionality and can be run at anytime?

------

Disregard this question. I ran this on an offline box and saw how quickly it ran, so I ran it on production after running it by someone else and it was completely seamless.

Thanks!

This is just a file check, so there should not be any impact. But the key word here is "should", you never know what can go wrong :) I have run this on production systems during business hours without any issues.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card