cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast and IGMP on Cisco Nexus N9K-C9336C-FX2 (Layer 2)

utawakevou
Level 4
Level 4

We are working on a Hyper Convergence Infrastructure project and our designated switch is a pair of N9K-C9336C-FX2 (version 10.2(5) MR) to host our HCI servers (Lenovo Think Agile VX7531 Certified Node).

Current Nexus9000 C9372TX hosting our three-tier architecture VMware infrastructure with vPC for redundancy and load balancing, core routing/switching and acting as our root bridge. HRSP and OSPF routing is configured and enabled as well. 

I've cabled this up and configured the necessary configuration (vPC, VLAN, trunk etc). Vendor that will implement the HCI is asking me to enable Multicast and IGMP on Cisco Nexus N9K-C9336C-FX2 (Layer 2). Since it is a layer 2 switch do I need to do this from the L3 switch - Nexus9000 C9372TX?

I notice only PIM feature is available on Cisco Nexus N9K-C9336C-FX2. Attached is my current setup without the HCI hosts connected.

Any help, documentation or configuration example with regards to my scenario will be really appreciated

1 Reply 1

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @utawakevou

Regarding your scenario, if you have a L2/L3 switch, such as the N9K-C9336C-FX2, and you need to enable multicast and IGMP for your HCI project, you will typically need to enable these features.

Since the C9372TX switch is already configured as your core routing/switching device and supports OSPF routing and HRSP, it is the appropriate device to handle multicast and IGMP configuration.

To enable multicast and IGMP:

--Enable multicast routing by configuring the PIM protocol. This enables multicast traffic to be routed between different VLANs or networks.

--Configure the necessary multicast groups and associated VLANs or interfaces on C9372TX switch.

--Enable IGMP snooping. This allows the switch to listen to IGMP messages from hosts and dynamically learn which hosts are interested in receiving multicast traffic.

--Configure the appropriate VLANs and interfaces on C9372TX switch to connect your HCI hosts and ensure proper connectivity.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.