cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7912 and HSRP and one way voice

dlkoch
Level 1
Level 1

I have 5 7912 and 80 7940 phones the are behind a 3750 L3 switch doing HSRP with another 3750 L3 switch doing the same thing across the street. All 5 7912 have 1 way voice going out to another subnet or across the WAN. All the phone are on the same subnet and only the 7912 have this problem. I configure another L3 Vlan with no HSRP and the 7912 works fine, on the same L3 switch. Any suggestions?

6 Replies 6

clsalaza
Level 1
Level 1

are you sure that nothing is stopping the traffic from thos phones? normally is a routing issue, plus what happens with a different phone load? same results?

We figured it is a default-gateway issue but not sure why. Since all the other phones 7940 and 7960 work just fine with the same configuration and DHCP pool. Tried other phone load and same results. We have other 7912 at other locations going to the same Call Manager that work just fine.. The only one that don't work is the ones going to a HRSP gateway. You can't ping the phone from any other network except it own. If I move the phone to a network that is not HRSP it works fine.

go figure

well it seems you already found it. If you check the setting in the 7912 are they the same as in the others? i mean are they getting the same vlan (maybe aux vlan is not present)? from the switch or router directly connected to the can you ping them? and what about of an extended ping from the same router incoming from another network?

Yes they are getting the same voice VLAN info and do have the right default-gateway for that voice vlan. And extended ping from another network from within the 3750 L3 switch where the voice vlan inteface is configured along with others networks will not ping. But pinging from the call Manager which is on another network will ping the 7912's. The difference is the Call Manager is behind a PIX and the PIX outside interface is attached to the same Voice Vlan as the phones. The Call Manager VLAN is not a routed Vlan. It is only a L2 Vlan within the 3750's and is only routed to other networks by the PIX. Am using a static route in the 3750's to get to Call Manager. All other routes are EIGRP learned.

if you run a debug ip packet in the closest point to the phone and try to ping it againg the phone from a remote point what are the results? and sniffer between the phone and the switch, pinging again what are them results? the only way to make sure what is going on there is find out who is lossing the packet and what's the reason for it, if is the switch or any other cisco networking device that should come up in the debug ip packet, if is the phone in the sniffer. Let us know..

It a remote site and will look at the traces when we get over there. Sure look like the phone is using a wrong default gateway though. thanks for the tips