cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practice for going to a 5, 6, 7 or 10 digit dial within the UCM environment?

Blood6147
Level 1
Level 1

This situation is new for us; we are planning to extend our CallManager cluster out to another location(s) in another state, which means we need to change the way we dial internally to each other and to the new locations.  Right now we are 4-digit dial, which represents the last 4 digits of the true DID.  We want to create an environment where we'd be able to dial out to any location in the simplest method possible, whether that means 5-digit, 6-digit, 7-digit or full 10-digit.

Knowing we have certain ranges of DIDs, and we don't want the conflicts with the DIDs that'll be absorbed when extending out, what's the best way to do this?  I'm sure plenty have done this already, so I'm interested in how you approached it and what you did.

Any information and advice is appreciated.

Thank you

2 Replies 2

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are various ways of doing that, but the answer is :  "it depends".

first of all, are your extension all in one partition?  or does every branch have its own partition?

If you all your extensions are in one partition, then you probably do not have much choice and will need to bulk update your extensions to a minumum of 5 digits.

If you have separate partitions you can use translation patterns that constitute 5 digit patterns and strip them back to 4 digits. this way you dont have to change the extensions on the phones themselves.

Please rate if useful

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thank you Dennis.  Right now we are at the planning stage, but when we add the new location, they would have their own partition.  I'm interested in not only how you manage the dialing between these sites, but also for absorbing that locations series of DIDs and having everything route accordingly within the environment.  Like I said, this is new for us, so I'm looking for any advice and detail you can provide for this.