Views
Helpful
Replies

IP restructuring project for a enterprise

vishnureddy1979
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am a part of the project which involves restructuring IP address for the entire company as this will lessen the issues we are currently facing. No summarization, harpazard ip addressing scheme, complicated access-list and difficult to identify the location based on the IP address. We have 15 locations including datacenter and campus. I am following this new scheme "<IP Address>:= "10. <Location>”.”<Purpose/VLAN###> "." <Node>" were location identifies the 2nd octet, purpose identifies the 3rd octet etc.

Now the challenges are that we have to execute this in the existing production network.

I have steps outlined below:

• Step 1: Create New Vlans for the New Private Ranges (No Overlaps)
  • Step 2: Create the new DHCP pools for the New IP Ranges
  • Step 3: Assign the same type of permissions to those Vlans (NAT, ACL, FIREWALL, ETC)
  • Step 4: Make Sure Inter VLAN routing is enabled and you can route between the new and the old VLANS
  • Step 5: Start Migrating Switch Ports from the OLD Vlans to the NEW ones (Clients should get New IPs as soon as you renew it and have the same permissions while still maintaining contact with the Non-migrated Ports)

Have anyone of you experienced with this kind of migration and what obstacles have you guys faced when implementing similar project.

Since this involves mutiple subnets and vlans that needs to be changed to new one this is going to be phased project with one site and then follow on with the next site.

What are the gotchas I should be looking around so that I can acheive the smooth transition without having much of a downtime. Infact there will be downtime but will try to keep it to the minimum.

Appreciate your responses, ideas, suggestions...

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

One of the major problems you may encounter if you have them are the in-house apps developers. Often embedded within their applications are references to IP addresses rather than to DNS names for servers. As a result when the IP address of the server changes then the application breaks. The application may point to multiple servers thus compounding the problem.

Also you haven't mentioned QoS. If you have this in place then you will need to review your QoS policies to take into account the new IP addressing scheme.