Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus Upgrade Paths

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I am wondering if the following upgrade paths are valid for the nexus 5k and 7k. Not carried out the upgrades before so just trying to find out if the upgrade path will work.

Nexus 7010

5.2(9) >

6.2(8a) >

6.2(12)

Nexus 5648

5.1(3)N2(1a) >

5.2(1)N1(9) >

7.0(6)N1(1)

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

The steps you outline look to be the same as those documented as supporting ISSU (In Service Software Upgrades) in the release notes so you should be OK.

You can also use the command show install all impact to determine whether an OS upgrade can be undertaken as an ISSU or whether it will be disruptive.

As always, expect that things may not go according to plan and undertake the upgrade with the necessary approvals and during a maintenance window.

The one other note I'd add is that whilst we've found the ISSU process to be very good on the Nexus 7000, we've also encountered one or two issues some months later. Investigation with Cisco TAC has found these issues to be due to the hardware e.g., I/O modules, not be correctly programmed during the ISSU. In the end this required a reload of the device anyway.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

The steps you outline look to be the same as those documented as supporting ISSU (In Service Software Upgrades) in the release notes so you should be OK.

You can also use the command show install all impact to determine whether an OS upgrade can be undertaken as an ISSU or whether it will be disruptive.

As always, expect that things may not go according to plan and undertake the upgrade with the necessary approvals and during a maintenance window.

The one other note I'd add is that whilst we've found the ISSU process to be very good on the Nexus 7000, we've also encountered one or two issues some months later. Investigation with Cisco TAC has found these issues to be due to the hardware e.g., I/O modules, not be correctly programmed during the ISSU. In the end this required a reload of the device anyway.

Regards

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks Steve, yes I got the steps from those documents but still wanted to ensure it should be fine as I have not done much on Nexus. Also as you said it will be something done in a maintenance window